1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount not working in cold temps

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 97 Chevy, Nov 28, 2014.

1. 97 Chevy

97 Chevy Junior Member

[/B]Hello, I have an early 90's Western unimount 7'6" plow on a 97 GMC 1/2 ton truck. The plow has been slow in previous winters in cold temps (below 10 degrees) and now it will not work at all. Have flushed hyd fluid previously and does not help. Motor is working, pump is working, but plow will not move. Thinking it may be electrical, but not sure. I am a diesel mechanic and have knowledge about hyd systems, so really don't think it is that. I don't work on snowplows however, so.......can anyone help? Thank you.
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

There is a port to check presure right by the lift cylinder check westerns web site for spec i think it should b around 1700 psi maybe the filter is plugged if it doesn't work at all start with the basics make sure you have power to the selenoid make sure that you have power to the motor also on westernsnowplows.com they have a publication library find the trouble shooting guide and start there
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What fluid are you running in it?
  4. LPD

LPD Junior Member

Download the manual from the Western website and follow the diagnostic tests. You probably need to replace the filter or pump and filter. It is possible that it is a valve problem.