1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount not moving

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyU, Jan 17, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Last night while plowing the plow stopped working, however i could hear the motor and pump running. every once in a while when i moved the joystick, the blade would twitch, then the pump/motor would just run, kinda screeching. I talked to my dealer (not really helpful). After taking apart the quills, i discovered that one poppet valve had a brocken spring, replaced it, the plow worked fine, long enough to get home and drop/raise angle a few times (basically worked correctly) Then i was going to widen a path this afternoon, dropped it, angled and then it would not raise, it now has the same symptoms as before. I replaced the second poppet on the top of the valve body, but did not fix the problem. Can anyone shed a little light on my problem? Thanks, John
  2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If the motor is running and "whining" like it is going 3 times faster than it should, I would clean the strainers on the pump. To get to them, drain the fluid, remove the motor, then unbolt the pump. There are 2 filter screens on the pump.

You'll need a new base gasket for the motor when you put it back together. Those filter screens are VERY fine, and can get plugged up easily. Should take you about a 1/2 hour to do.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the quick reply Chuck, Ill check that, but before i do, ill tell ya that i just replaced them this summer, when i flushed out the pump/cylinders. But it may have clogged back up. Ill check that, thanks

If anyone else has had a similar experience, id be eternally grateful to hear your solution. Thanks Chuck!!
  4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Poppet Valve Spring

If you had a broken spring in the poppet valve it's possible that a small part of that broken spring has worked itself up under one of the cartridge valves, causing it to jam up. :rolleyes: