1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount, new pump and wont lift.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wahlturfcare, Jan 16, 2011.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i am having a problem with a unimount strait blade that i replaced the fender solenoid last week as is wasnt working and that fixed it for awhile.

But the other day it was ating up by not lifting or angling unless i pushed up into a pile, then the ram would lift up as there was no weight on it.

I went ahead and switched the pump and bled all the fluid out of the pump and rams.

now it only wants to lift up about a inch and turn to the left barely.
    it drops fine too.

I checked the motor and it will stay running if you keep holding the switch and still wont lift. I even put another motor on and it made no difference.

Any ideas on what it could be?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you change the solenoid you might of fix the problem

When you change the motor, that wasn't the problem..

When you change the fluid the problem became worst..

Did you drain the fluid from the housing before you put the pump on??

When you change the motor, did you look inside the housing , remove the suction filter and clean it??

I know that might be a hassle to you but you have to drain the fluid again.

READ BEFORE YOU START THE PROCEDURE AGAIN

If you haven't check the suction filter that is attach to the pump, it need to be check, remove, and clean with "brake" cleaner. Also clean the pump housing out with brake cleaner as well. I seem like you already drain the rams, so maybe you can get away with not draining them again..If your going to use the "blue" hydraulic fluid instead of the trans fluid, then you would have to drain the rams..

After your all done, with the plow blade straight, lift the plow up with a floor jack. Use a 2x4 and stick it straight under the center of the blade, and lower the blade on to the 2x4.
    Now (the pump should be back onto the pump nice and clean), before you put the pump back on, fill the pump housing with fluid (fluid level plug should be remove) until the fluid start to come out of the fluid level hole. Install the pump with a new gasket, making sure all the wires are in their proper place. MANUALLY swing the blade all the way to the left...wait 60sec. swing the pump all the way to the right..wait 60. swing the blade back straight, wait 60 and recheck the fluid to make sure it is level. If not level add more through the "fill" plug until the fluid start to come out of the level hole. Once again MANUALLY swing the plow to the right..wait 60sec..Swing the plow to the left..wait 60sec. Then straighten out the blade, wait 60sec. Again check the fluid by opening the fluid level port and making sure the fluid is level..

If you done everything correctly, you just re-flush the system, and flush the the air out of the system manually.. If the fluid is level, the connector plugs (grill plugs) are clean using battery cleaner, and you use dielectric grease inside each connector, clean both ends on the blk/orn wire that connect to the plow frame, and the small terminal on the solenoid, then it is time to use the joy stick. Turn the ignition key on, using the stick, swing the plow to the left..wait 60sec, swing it all the way to the right..wait 60sec, swing the plow to the center, raise it..wait 60sec, then lower it..

Let see what happen..Shouldn't take you less the an hour to do what I recommend. Also I don't know if you know it, the "blue" hydraulic fluid work much better then the trans fluid.

Here is a little help
    fc.jpg

flushAAA.jpg

Let us know how you made out..

fc.jpg

flushAAA.jpg

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

twinman, i did all of that twice so far and no luck. i even hand wiped the inside of the housing down with a rag and a magnet as there was some tiny fillings in the bottom right corner.

and am using the talamar extreme fluid which is the blue fluid.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok...look at these valves to see they are damage, or something blocking the passage way. Read them carefully..

poppyHHHHcushvalves.jpg

cushvalvecushinvalve.jpg

XXXXVVVVpopsvalve.jpg

This is not a cable unit??

You never said anything about taking out the screen

did you remove the screen from the pump and clean it?

If this doesn't work, you might have a bad "O" ring underneath the pump...

poppyHHHHcushvalves.jpg

cushvalvecushinvalve.jpg

XXXXVVVVpopsvalve.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011