1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount MVP wiring problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowmakerdrew, Sep 27, 2015.

1. snowmakerdrew

snowmakerdrew Junior Member

Hi I am new to snowplows and I am having trouble getting a western unimount working on a 01 dodge ram 2500 cummins. I cannot seem to get the high or low beams to work, nor the pump motor. The turn signals on the plow work and my truck headlights turn off when I plug the plow in. I figure I am having a ground issue or a relay problem but this whole relay system confuses me. Does anyone have one of these systems they can take a picture of? I know Western has the public library but I cannot seem to find the problem.

Thanks
    Andrew

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. snowmakerdrew

I just realized I posted this in the wrong area of the forum. I apologize for that. This belongs in the truck and equipment repair.

I have seen those schematics and I will try the trouble shooting guide but I believe the previous owner did some rigging of his own so I am a bit lost on what I am working with. If I cannot track down the problem what are my options for updating the wiring?

4. dieselss

What did he rig?

5. snowmakerdrew

Its just a mess of wires that hook up to the relays. He has spliced other wired onto the existing with different colors etc. I think I may possibly have a couple of loose wires that are causing the problem.

UPDATE: I have tracked down the problem for the power to the pump. The switched power wires in the truck side harness were bad. The plow is now functioning as it should but I am still having a problem with the lights. Turn signals and parking lamps work, no high or low beams.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  6. snowmakerdrew

Okay I am having a bit of trouble here with the lights. Which wiring diagram should I be going off of for the relays? The unimount mvp mechanics guide? Or should I be looking at a vehicle specific diagram? I am mounting on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 cummins. Thanks drew

7. dieselss

A vehicle specific wiring guide isn't going to do you much good for plow wiring.
    Try the plow wiring time start with.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

You have a test light, look at the relays, the terminals are marked. Look for 87 and 87a. These are the ones that should be sending power to the headlamps. Your parking lights power up the relays. Did you try new ones?

9. snowmakerdrew

10. dieselss

First, how many relays are there for the plow?

11. snowmakerdrew

There are 4 relays.

12. dieselss

Then you need to look up the schematic for the 4 relay system

13. snowmakerdrew

And where would I find that? There are so many different relay wiring options I am very confused. None of this wires were hooked up to the relays when I got it so I am lost without some actual insight. Someone has to know how to wire this thing...

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Was this already installed and now you have problems, or is this a new install with used parts?

15. snowmakerdrew

I bought the plow and truck from a guy who had this western on the truck at one time. He had removed the plow and wiring to sell separately, he didn't think he was going to sell as package. All of the plow controls work fine. It's just the lights I am struggling with as I am not sure which diagram to be going off of.

16. dieselss

17. snowmakerdrew

18. dieselss

ok work with me a little ok smalls.
    page 48 of the last link i posted has your dodge info
    then its either page 65, 0r 83. since you didnt post what specifics your truck has, i cant go any further, but both diagrams are showing 6 relays.

19. snowmakerdrew

Okay thank you. This plow stuff is all new to me so I apologize for not knowing what info I should be giving you guys to be able to assist. What kind of truck specifics would you be interested in? (I am learning here)
    Thanks again for bearing with me and the help.

20. dieselss

Like I said, page 48 asks some questions that you need to answer. What lights and drls or not.