1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount MVP wing leaking down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firefighter1406, Dec 7, 2011.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a unimount MVP that is blade is raised and in the scoop position the drivers side wing will slowly bleed down. I mean in about five minutes it will almost be in the gee position on the drivers side. The passenger side does bleed down to but in fives min it only bleeds down a couple of inches. No visible leaking from any of the rams. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A new plow would be the "quick fix" but if you have the energy and patience I would start by ripping the whole thing apart and cleaning it. It is probably 15 years old or more and could use some TLC. When I get an old unit like this, and the owner insists on bringing it back to life, the first step is to remove the reservoir and look at the magnet to see what kind of gunk has accumulated. That will give you an idea of what the valves have injested. Then, if there are no metal parts on the magnet, pull all the valves and plow the unit out with compressed air. From this point, having inspected all the parts for damage I would put it back together and carfully reseat the ball valves. While you have the cartrige valves out put a coil one each one and then connect it to 12V to open it and then plow them out with air. Check that all the valves make a distinct click when connected. Also look for deformities on the stem and damage on the seals. But from what you are describing pay most attention to the springs, balls and seats of the crossover relief valves as they are most likely the source of the problem. Either they are damaged or there is dirt preventing them from closing tight. But if you choose to try to restore this unit be prepared for seized components. All too often, at my shop, we get what we call "bucket plows." These are old units that people try to fix on their own. When they get them half apart and realize they don't have the special tools / gauges or skill to put them back together they bring the remains in a bucket and ask us to finish the job. By this time the estimated cost is out of this world and they either give up or begrudginly buy a new unit wishing they had never wasted their time on the old one. Consider carfully if you have the resources, skill and patience to unertake this task.