1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount mvp pump runs nothing works

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ford-101, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

just got this plow everything was working great then nothing. the plow is stuck up in the v position. I brought it home and went threw everything. I found that one out of the two black with orange stripe wires on the ground side of the pump was broke off . fix that .. clean the ground post and the positive post on the pump also the cables ... put that all together nothing!... clean the control and lights plug (plow and Truck sides) look good but still clean it. Nothing! clean the battery plug (plow and truck sides) was dirty clean it. put that together wiggle it the plow drop half way wiggle it again went down some more not all the way clean battery post and the solenoid still nothing. the pump sound the same now as it did when it work just now nothing moves..... please tell i didnt burn the pump up with the wire being broke off the ground
    please help Thanks

2. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

anyone have any idea

3. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

You wiggled the two wire connector and the plow dropped?
    That don't sound right.

4. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

yea i know! The connection between the truck and the plow for the batterys.. two big prongs and one small one. wiggle it plow drop did it again and drop some more.. what i didnt say is the key was on as was the joystick. .. Now the joystick was on the float position.... The harness is a year old

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This is going to sound weird, Make sure the ignition key is on..Go back to the grill connector ( plow and truck side 9pin or 12 pin..depend on what you have).

A) Take a pair of pliers, or channel lock pliers, and squeeze (easy) the female side of the plug. What you want to do is close the female pins a little so when you re-connect to the male plug will make better contact.. Do the same for the power cables..

If that doesn't work,

B) Have someone move the controller to the left while you "twist" the (truck side) harness. If the plow moves to what ever direction you choose, that an indication you have a break in one of the wires inside the harness casing, or a wire ready to break inside the harness which sometimes is close to the connector.

If that doesn't work

C) blk/orn wire is a ground wire for the plow. Re-check the wire again to make sure there is not a break where it connect to the "S" valves. On the solenoid there should be the same color wire. Make sure it is clean and connected to the small terminal securely and not corroded. Also check the brn/red wire on the other small terminal. This wire also connect to the controller

That doesn't work,

D) Check the controller connector under the dash. While holding the controller in a position you choose, wiggle the harness. If the plow moves, then the pins are not making a good contact between the female and male plug..

E) check the control harness that goes through the firewall to make sure the harness is not cut. Sometimes the metal will cut into the controller harness and create a ground to short (live wire ground out)..

Let us know what happen

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Was the truck on when you plugged the 2 pin harness back in?

This is a 3 plug setup for a V plow correct?

7. twinman326

Answer to you question Repo in red

Unimount MVP three wire??

I thought it would be a 12pin two wire??

Or a 14pin connector

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

I will do all of that . thanks for the help twinman326.... here is some pix of my plow plow is stuck up and in a v position. also this is a 12pin control and 3pin battery

in the second pix the small pin had some corrosion on clean all of these connections

0212112217.jpg

0212112215a.jpg

0212112215.jpg

0212112214.jpg

9. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

here is a pix of the pump ... clean both post, put a new connector on the blk/org on the ground

0212112213.jpg

0212112213a.jpg

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Missed that part.

Yes....it's possible. I think I've seen more and more older plows converted over the last few years. Newer trucks, ISO setups...

I would say 12 pin...No?

11. twinman326

Look at the "red arrows"

electrical schematic

inline elect.jpg

something wrong with the prong? See if you have power to the red wire lead. Check the opposite connector were the small red lead plug into to make sure it has a tight fit when connected

quest plug.jpg

Just a plain schematic just in case you need to follow a wire

inline electA.jpg

inline elect.jpg

inline electA.jpg

quest plug.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  12. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

twinman326 Thank you for your help . I found the problem. the small positive wire was broken on the plow side, Ran a jumper wire from the truck for the time being in till i get a new plow side plug. EVERYTHING Works:mechanic: thanks again

13. twinman326

Your very welcome Mr. Ford

Safe plowing what left of the snow to come...