1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount MVP Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stroker79, Oct 5, 2009.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I got this plow with a truck that I bought 2 years ago. It hasnt been used in at least 2 years and its got issues. What would make the solenoid under the hood melt? What should I look for? The power connecions all look good. Bad ground somewhere?

First, one of the hoses was missing on one of the angle rams. The plow has all quick disconnect fittings so there was no fluid loss or corrosion. Today I replaced the the hose and started cycling the plow and was going to check the fluid. But after about 5 mins of cycling, the solenoid melted down. Thankfully the plow is in the V position and and down all the way. I checked the fluid and it was right at the top.

Also, the lift cylinder wont go up all the way, only about 4 inches. It has no problem with the weight because I short chained it and it lifted it no problem. I also tried lifting it with the chain unhooked and it stopped at the same spot. What would cause this?

Fnally, the plow will not go in all postions. The right wing works fine but the left (the one that had the missing hose) does not really move. Now, the power solenoid burned up in little time so im not sure if it was taking awhile for the ram to fillup and burp the bubbles out or not. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for all your help!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I knew this one was coming Doug. :D

Melted solenoids are almost always due to an excessive AMP draw. And that is usually a loose power cable connection or a poor ground somewhere between the battery and plow so be sure to look those over very very well.

The lack of left wing function is likely due to air in the system and is also probably the cause if your limited lift cylinder travel as well. Get the fluid topped off and work the air out of the system by cracking each line open slightly one at a time and working that respective function. The old Uni MVP's are one of the toughest plow to extract all the air from so it can take some effort and fluid to get it all.

Also, be sure to download a manual for the MVP from Westerns website to familiarize yourself with the plows hydro's and electricals, I'm sure theres one on there somewhere. Just be sure it's for the MVP and not the MVP Plus...two different animals.

3. stroker79

Haha!

Is the only ground I need to worry about is the one that goes to the motor on the pump? That thick ground goes straight to the battery, Ill check to see that is making a good connection but the plow doesnt rely on a ground connection through the frame does it?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not if the one between the pump and the battery is good.

Make sure you check the power side cables as well. May have fixed one already when you replaced the solenoid.

5. stroker79

Ok. The boss is the same way right? Cause when my boss is powering onto the truck, there is normally some sparking when the frame makes contact with the plow.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There should never be any sparking between them. But when there is it's a clear indication you have a weak ground connection somewhere on the power cables...and on a Boss it's usually right at the pump motor or the bumper connector needs cleaned and/or the pins spread.

7. stroker79

Hmm ok thanks B. Looks like I have some work ahead of me here before the season starts.

Appreciate it.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And you thought you had enough to do... :D

9. stroker79

Soooooo I havent had any time to do anything to the plow but I was thinking...............

I have a 99 ford f350 with a unimount straight blade. How possible is it to put the MVP on the ford? The mounting is the same but do the wires need to be swapped? Is that all that needs to be swapped?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just need a truck side harness change to run the vee Doug.

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

What the hell was that your silver truck too? How many miles? Is it 4x4?

12. stroker79

Yeah its mine. Its got about 195k and 4x4. diesel

13. stroker79

Hey B&B, I might have figured out the solinoid burning up problem. Does the base have to be grounded?

14. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

I haven't hooked my plow up yet to check if my wiring works yet but Yes I did ground the base on mine.I ran a wirer from the battery to one of the screws that I used to mount the solenoid. I have read to many horror story's on here about not have every thing grounded good. But If you have the solenoid mounted on metal that to should act as a ground to.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  15. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The orange/brown wire on the harness that goes from the battery neg to the solenoid should be the ground if I remember right, but the more the merrier I suppose.

16. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

Am not trying to hi jack this thread. But I bought a new solenoid for mine and my case is all metal and Only has one termanal witch am guessing the one termanal am missing is the one for ground because the case is metal. Am i right in my thinking. So the Orange and brown I will just run that wirer to my wirer I have running to the battery ground? Or do I just have the wrong solenoid.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No the solenoid case doesn't need to be grounded. The orange/black wire on the small terminal performs that function.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a snowplow use designated solenoid? If it's a starter solenoid forget it and use the correct one.

19. stroker79

Damn that sux. I was hoping for something easy.

20. Grandad

Grandad Junior Member

B&B Yes its the solenoid Northern Tool sold me for my Western Plow. But it only has one Little terminal. my original one had 2 small terminal. But the original solenoid also was a kind of plastic or rubber on the bottom that would make it not ground useing the fender..