1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount moving slow, found water/ice in fluid?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GavinC, Jan 23, 2011.

1. GavinC

GavinC Junior Member
    from 60002

Hello, I've been reading these forums for some time but this is my first post.

The last time it snowed I noticed my unimount was moving slow up, right and left. The next morning I changed the fluid and the motor gasket. The fluid had a white color to it like there was water in it and there was a large chunk of ice in the fluid reservoir. So I put it in my neighbors heated garage and let everything defrost for a day and a half. Then I drained everything including the rams, refilled the fluid, worked the plow several times with the control and changed the fluid again to get any residual water out of the system. But that made no difference! The plow seems like it's drawing extra current also. I have a high output alternator and my voltage guage usually stays at 16-17 volts in my dash, but lately when I move the plow it drops to 9 and takes a few seconds to get back to 14-17 range. I have tested my battery with a load tester and it tested ok, and I have not had any problems with a dead battery. I do drive this truck everyday, it's a 2000 silverado.

I'm a very handy guy and hoping to save the $80/hr my local shop wants to look at it. I was in there looking for a new filter for the pump when I was doing the fluid change and they said my pump/motor are so old I'd have to replace them as a set and that would most likely solve my problem, but no guarantee:(

So, I don't have a problem spending $350 on parts if that's what I need. Can anyone give me their opinions on this? Is there anything else I should check first? Or is it most likely an issue with the pump/motor?

Thank you for any advice!
  2. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

scroll down to the pump diagram, it has some testing info on pressure, maybe also check the solonoids that control the pumps flow of fluid.

it sounds like your pump is working extra hard without any performace, so checking the pumps pressure would be a good first check, i would continue on to checking the pumps electrical system after that..

does it move erratically, or just slow?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You could check the amp draw of the pump. You may have hurt the pump with the water in it.
  4. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I would also clean the main power and ground connections on the motor (even if they look fine)