1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount movement issuse

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kind4209, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kind4209

kind4209 Junior Member
    from NJ

Have a Western Unimount hooked up to a Ford F250 2003 2x4. Installed myself and worked fine for weeks while moving around my shop before the snow arrived. Storm came, and plow worked for a few hours. Then it went down. NO response to in cab controller and the solenoid was working fine. Took to a shop and a meyers mechanic found out that there was a poor ground wire. Plow was back and up and running. A few hours later, plow once again had no movement. Have not had a chance to fool with until now. I noticed that there was little to no fluid in one of the angle cylinders hose. When I use the in cab controller, it felt like the plow wanted to move to the right when I hit the up controller. Can't tell if this is true because plow is now locked in right position. Any thoughts and help?

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

mine does something similar, I will be going along and it will work good then stop. I will angle it right, then try to angle it back and it just keeps going right. sometimes up gets all messed up and wont work. I dont know what the issue is for sure, but I believe it may be in the controller. Are you using an handheld electric controller or the type you mount to the floor with the joy stick? I am thinking about switching mine out to the joystick because I had the same issue before and it was with the controller. They keep shorting out.

3. kind4209

kind4209 Junior Member
    from NJ

I use the hand held controller and what I can do is test it on my other truck to see if the controller is bad. It may be the case, but since I was told that I had a bad ground, my concern is that something is not right truck side. Did you ever try to test/check/fix grounds or are you positive that you do indeed have a bad controller?

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like controller problems guys. only other thing is a sticky valve or broken wire to the valve.

5. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Mine does the same thing. This is the first plow with a hand held. When I get time im going to change to my extra joystick.

6. kind4209

kind4209 Junior Member
    from NJ

I will check and change out controllers to see if this is the problem. Thanks!