1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Motor Identification

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by badpeanut, Apr 10, 2014.

1. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I have a 1991-1995 UniMount (it has the 2 piece die-cast pump). I'm trying to identify the motor. It has a steel end cap, but the ground is a bolt threaded into the motor body rather than a stud. Was this ground added?

Does this make it a Bosch 1 Terminal or Prestolite 1 Terminal? If so, which one?

motor.jpg

motor-id.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just go with the Bosch.
    But match up the ends to make sure the depths are the same.

3. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

My current motor is still working, but I was going to inspect the brushes (and replace if necessary) this spring.

I replaced the rusty motor power stud hardware, but I was thinking it might be nice to replace the stud too.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The studs are usually attached to the windings inside the motor. So replacing the studs isnt always an option

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hope you got something figured out. yes, yours would be one of those singe post ones, which has had the case drilled and tapped for the ground connection (which is the correct way to do it).

We don't stock or sell any of those brush kits here. we always just replace the motor, or if a person really wants to just get brushes we refer them to an auto electric repair shop where they can just match them up.

6. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

I spent some time looking at the spray painted over decal on my current motor, and deciphered "Wapsa", which appears to be a replacement motor.

It looks like the snow is going to stay east of me in Minnesota, but I'm going to hold off a bit longer before I tear into my plow so I'm certain I'm done for the year.