1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Motor gets stuck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by SNOWPLOWBUZZ, Dec 7, 2011.

1. SNOWPLOWBUZZ

SNOWPLOWBUZZ Junior Member

I've been tring to fix this intermitiant problom with the motor continuing to run when I send a signal to the plow to go up or side to side. Its not constant but happens often. I strated by checking the in cab control and that seems fine. I thought it was the motor Solenoid but I replaced 5 of them(Thinking maybe it was a bad batch). Anyway Can anybody suggest what else it could be? I ordered the 2,3,and 4 way's with Coil's incase something is get stuck in there. But honestly am not experienced in fixing these things. Motor was replaced because this intermitant problem burned out the old motor last march. Pump was rebuilt the winter before last. I took the motor off and it still looks brand new. The fluid was bit low and when i filled it I noticed a leak in the Motor's cork gasket. So I will be replacing that today. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.:mechanic:

Help please,
    Alex

2. LaytonTruck

LaytonTruck Junior Member

It has to be be in the Motor relay or control. All you are doing is sending current to the motor when you operate the control. I am sure the valves with coils where not cheap. But I don't think that is the problem

Make sure your relay is grounded good Can find more Mech Guides @ http://library.westernplows.com/default.asp?cat=242

motor.jpg

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I agree that it could be the control, how did you test it. I also agree with the above statement; Coils and Valves are not your issue.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. SNOWPLOWBUZZ

SNOWPLOWBUZZ Junior Member

The motor solenoid only seizes up when the motor is connected I replaced three of them already. It seems the motor which is new is working to hard and archs the contacts shut when the motor is working to pick the plow up.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Have you inspected your power harness connectors for wear? In reality you should also trace the power harnesses entirely (both truck side and plow side), to make sure it's not chaffing or pinched somewhere. It's obviously making contact where it shouldn't be.

Short of that, I would mark the pump's motor itself as the culprit...but where it's already been replaced.......the chances of a defective motor on top of an already replaced junk motor; possible, but not likely. Did you use a generic motor, or OEM?