1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount lighting

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by antbarbato, Jan 19, 2016.

1. antbarbato

antbarbato Junior Member

I have a western Unimount plow that was used with a 2004 GMC Yukon. I got a new truck and put the plow on my 2012 GMC Sierra. I bought the ultra mount frame for the truck and then the conversion kit. My question is about the wiring. Oh boy- western relays! Ok so I got the power and control working but I have no headlights. The Yukon used 9006 for lows and 9005 for highs. The 2012 Sierra has h11 for lows and 9005 for highs. I was thinking I could use and adapter kit to go from 9006 to h11. I got it all wired in, except I did not tap into the parking lights & turn signals. when I went to use headlights it blew the fuse in my truck. I don't remember trying the high beams. The lights were working last winter on the Yukon but there is a chance that there is a problem in the nest of relays. I'm just curious if anyone knows if there is just a problem with using an adapter to go from headlights. Thank you for any help

2. antbarbato

antbarbato Junior Member

The plow is a Western 2 plug set up!!!

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I think what you have will not work. Need new truck side 3 port set up. The Western guy will chime in, but I don't think the old relays will work.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

1), you would need to tap into the parking lights to get the headlights to turn on.
    2) how many relays are you using?
    3), is your truck a pos switched headlight, or negative?
    4) easiest fix, a separate switch controlling the plow lights.

5. antbarbato

antbarbato Junior Member

6 relay set up. Not sure about the pos or neg switched headlight. I may just do that and put a separate switch. Thank you for the help!

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

As D said best thing to do is separate switch!

7. antbarbato

antbarbato Junior Member

Ok guys im back :waving:

I have been thinking about my lighting situation. I drew up a diagram and I hope it helps a tad. What I want to do is use h11 adpaters, that I bought to tap into the trucks lighting. I will plug into the truck driver side headlight harness and put that into a switch as the power source. Then, the switch will choose between the trucks headlight and the plow headlight. That would then require me to flip a switch every time I plow but I dont mind for a temporary fix. The trucks headlight has a 20 amp fuse and I believe the sealed beam headlights *combined) do not pull that kind of amperage. (at least from my research - correct me if i am wrong). I will test this theory tomorrow with a meter.

As Im typing this however, I realized I would have to switch off the passenger side headlight also.

To be honest I just do not want to run another switch into my cab, i know its not a big deal, but i would like something a little bit cleaner if I can!

Any suggestions?

Maybe I could just wiring up 1 or two relays to do this. I dont care about turn signals, parking lights, high beams. I just want some light!

Thank you for the help

Western light wiring.jpg

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You could hide switch under the dash like a kill switch or put it under the hood and switch it only when you hook up the plow.

9. antbarbato

antbarbato Junior Member

Ok so I'm assuming my idea won't work?

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I wouldn't have any connection to factory wiring. If you just run fused power out to the black and white wire for plow headlights that would be best.

11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What you can do as another option.
    Add a switch and relay for just the plow lights.
    Grab a 12v hot lead into the switch...then out to a relay. The power can come right off the battery, and the ground can either be right to the truck or from the blk/org off the plow