1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount light problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by johns3040, Oct 24, 2012.

1. johns3040

johns3040 Junior Member
    from 56578

When I plug in my western unimount plow to my 1997 2500 Ram the lights on the truck turn off like there supposed to but the lights on the plow don't come on. The yellow parking lights on the truck and the plow are on. When I hit the turn signal in the truck the flash starts out very weak and flashes really quick. After a few seconds the turn signals brightness start to gain strength and operate close to normal but still not like when the plow is unplugged.

Things I have done: I have completely replaced both the plow head lights mainly because one of them had the plastic housing break. There were two relays that I swapped with each other to see if that would do anything but no luck. The grounds looked good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck your tk gnd again. Ck the gnd on the plow. Then you have to test light the relays to make sure you have all the pwr and gnds that you should I would also ck the wires that splice into your tks turn signals for the plow, they can get corroded if they weren't spliced properly

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

On the unimounts I believe the lights ground out through the wire that goes to battery negative from the plow motor. So if the pump works OK then it might be the black with org tracer wire that goes from the motor negative up into the headlight harness. I would be getting a schematice and doing some logical, systematic troubleshooting by figuring out which pin on the connector is for what and then apply power with a jumper cable from the battery. If everything works OK when you jump power into the plug at the grill then you know it's a truck problem, if not then look closer at the plow.

If you have a friend with a similar plow that you could just plug your truck into this would narrow the problem down to either truck or plow. If your plow lights work on another truck you know its your truck but if the problem follows the plow then you know its the plow.

When you changed the headlights did you replace them with Nighthawks, the old rectangular sealed beams or some aftermarket lights that are not actually from Western? Any chance you mixed up some wires when you did that swap? And when you changed the relays... is there any chance you mixed up there? You may have multiple problems compounding your headache.

If you are any good at reading schematics I could link you to one. Give us a descrption of the plow and I can hook you up. Need to know: Straight blade or V? Isarmatic (intigrated lift cylinder) or flowstat (lift cylinder is seperat from hydro unit) how many plugs do you have at the grill? You mentioned that it has relays so we know it has no isolation module. Once we get your wiring system narrowed down we can help you better.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. johns3040

johns3040 Junior Member
    from 56578

Strait blade,Isarmatic I believe. 2 plugs at the grill.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

OK so you have a two plug relay system which means the control wires for the plow and all the lights run through one plug. According to the schematic the headlights have a seperate ground from the signals and markers so if both are acting up then you have compound problems. The signals and markers are simply connected in parallel so they should be simple to trace down. As I suspected, the markers and singnals share their ground through the pump motor ground so I would be checking for continuety between the lamp ground and the negative lug on the motor. Unfortunately the relay schematics are different from vehicle to vehicle so the schematics don't show the relay hookup. This makes it difficult to see the whole system from here. The schematic manual shows your setup with a big blank box that says "vehicle specific relays". Here is a link to the Western schematic manual. Page 71, 72 and 73 are the pages you should be looking at I believe. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    I would start troubleshooting by verifying the grounds and the electrical conections from the relays to the lights. Then dig into the relay connections.