1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Lift Chain Connection Issue?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by badpeanut, Aug 2, 2011.

1. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

The plow is an 8' Western Unimount Pro. The current lift chain connection to the A-frame looks redneck (see attached pictures). There is currently slack in the lift chain so it is flipped forward in the top picture and backward in the bottom picture. I don't know why someone added the bolt and washer/nut stack about three chain links up from where it is mounted to the A-frame. The Western Service Parts Manual I looked at online shows a 3/8" diameter u-bolt, but I don't see how that would work here. How should the lift chain be mounted to the A-frame on this plow?

Also, the damage to the hydraulic hose appears to be from the lift chain when the plow is in the raised position. How does a person prevent this?

mywestern8-12.jpg

mywestern8-13.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I don't think you need the extra bolts I would remove them. I am pretty sure you just use one 5/16 bolt that goes through the piece that wraps around the quadrant and the chain back out the same piece. Looks like they have the chain attached correctly just not sure about the extra bolts. There should be slack in the chain when the ram is pushed all the way down this allows the plow to float and follow the ground.

Also you may want to wrap the bottom 3 or 4 links with a lot of electrical tape. It will keep them rigid and helps them not catch anything when you are plowing and there is slack in the chain.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well said^^^^

The u bolt you saw was for the newer style quadrants. The style you have works just fine. You can replace the bolt with a nice new grade 8 bolt if you're worried about it's age. Other than that I've never had an issue with the design. It's simple, that's all.

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I used a piece of vinyl hose big enough to fit over the chain to prevent it from hanging up on anything when there is slack in the chain. It would also probably prevent the damage to your hose.

kevlars

5. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

i ts go in between that hole were the first bolt is but yes i used grade 8 bolts on mine i cut every bolt on my plow and used grade 8 but u should cut that thing off put a new bolt and put it in between the hole with the bolt going threw it and then ur fine.

6. badpeanut

badpeanut Junior Member
    from ND

Last night I removed the old bolts, slipped a 12" long, 1" inside diameter piece of clear vinyl hose over the chain, and put in a new 3/8" grade 8 bolt with nylon lock patch nut. Looks like it will work great!