1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount keeps dragging voltage down and controller turns off mid movement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GSS LLC, Nov 17, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Alright, heres what i have

1983 chevy 1/2 ton.
    90 amp alternator, rewound to 140 amps.
    2 60 series batteries for diesel truck applications both new

The alt was rewound because the battery voltage kept going low and the plow would become unusable.

last year, after an hour or so of plowing, the lights would start getting dim when angling the plow. then eventually the truck would get low enough on voltage that mid lift or mid angle the controller would shut off.

So i got the alternator re wound to 140 volts. Installed it last week. then plowed with it and within 20 minutes of plowing the controller was shutting off already.

We tried taking the red wire from the 2 wire plug on the alt and running it to the batt wire terminal on the back of the alt. that didnt help.

Last year i tested amp draw from the pump motor, turned it to left lock and ran the motor and it tested within factory specs, i forget what they are now though. what are the specs for the amp draw on a unimount motor?

What could be causing this?

my guess is a bad ground. motor drawing too many amps but it tested good last year. however i tested the motor cold, after usage could it be getting hot and drawing a lot of amps?

any other ideas?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First, test your batts separately. Then test the output if your alt. Then report back. Use testers or goto a shop and have them tested.