1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Hydraulic problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stan3ley, Jan 30, 2015.

1. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

Hi ,
    I received my new- used joystick controller, works great. I am having a problem when I try to tilt the blade to the right. Up , down, left, all work fine. When I go from blade left to blade right, it stops slightly past straight. The pump is running, but it don't go.
    I disconnected all power from truck and put 12 volts to all three solenoids and all three clicked. I removed S2 and checked it for any obvious problems, o rings and such, all looked good. Put power to it and the valve snapped up strongly. I did the same with S3 and had similar results.
    I am thinking of pulling the crossover valve and look into that.
    Any body have any suggestions ?
    Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look at the rams. Might have a bent one. I'd do that before the crossover

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, if it moves part of the way from left to right, then the valves have to be working. I second dieselss's guess, on looking for some physical reason that it might be stopping at that point.

4. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

I did study them, as when I bought the unit it had sitting outside for some time. I took off the motor when I tried to put power to it and nothing happened. I was rusted completely, and I could see water in the housing. I took off the hoses and rams and contracted them to push the old fluid out. I dismantled the unit and took the motor to be rebuilt. The tech said when he opened it water poured out of the motor. I had to weld on allen wrenches to all of the plugs as they were rusted in. I ran air into the rams to make sure they were empty. I did take the pump out and the valve block off to clean and inspect the interior. The filter was collapsed due to grunge inside. I didn't mess with the poppet valves, as I did understand the procedure of hitting it with a hammer to take them out ? That is why I am thinking it is something internal. According to what I have read, when going right only the S2 is involved, but it is also involved when going left along with S3 so I don't get it.
    I will take the left ram off and check it out.
    Thanks

5. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

Hi guys,
    Thanks, you were right. The chain mounting they used was hitting the tab I had welded on for the center spring.
    Now I have a total break down. Was plowing yesterday and the plow started acting weird, wanted to go right when I wanted left, then finally it wouldn't raise and the blade is completely to the right. What ever position the controller is in, the pump runs, but no movement. Where do I start ? I am trying to locate a gauge to check pressure output. After that I am looking at the solenoids ?

6. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

One other thing, my relay wasn't always working, so I bought a new one. But that one seems to be working intermittently. I go and tap on it get in the cab, and it works. Five minutes later, it does the same thing, nothing. I have the solenoid grounded to the sheet metal, and installed a new ground to the battery from the power cable as they only grounded it to the fender. Bad Unit ?

7. dieselss

You took a ground wire to positive? What huh?

8. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

I meant to say that the ground from the truck side power cable was on the fender. I attached a longer ground to go to the battery.
    If I did that there would have been a fireworks display. LOL

9. dieselss

What kind if solenoid did you get? How many pins

10. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

It has two pins on it, besides the battery and the solenoid controlled lug.

11. dieselss

So 3 or 4?

12. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

It has four total. The gauge I got from a friend was so bad ,I couldn't see if the needle moved at all. I don't know what to do at this point. Do I take it off and tear the pump apart, and rebuild it ? Do I take out the poppet and bypass valves and check those ? I am at a loss right now.

13. dieselss

Output psi don't matter at this point if it's stuck full right
    Test light the coils while operating up, or left and see if there getting signal. You can disconnect the pos cable at the motor so it won't move

14. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

Okay, I will give that a try.
    Thank you.

15. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

diesels.
    I put my digital meter on ohms, when I hooked up ground and put an alligator clip on the terminal to the solenoid while still attached I got tone, OL, when I hit the control for left or right it went out. When I released the joy stick, I had tone again, except when I hit the down/ float, then it would stay off until I moved the joy stick into another position.
    If you are available my phone # is (248) 640-6626 cell.
    Maybe we could talk.
    Thanks
    Stan

16. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

A mechanic friend suggested I pull the motor off and check the shaft to see if it may have snapped off ? He has seen rusty ones in the past do that. Could it be that the bypass is open ? would that let the fluid not make any pressure and just circulate ? I am lost here. I have a 600 ft driveway. I have one car stuck and buried. I have a bad back and am disabled, so my work time is limited. The back starts hurting after an hour in the cold. My truck wont fit in my garage, so I am outside. and it's snowing here in MI. I love winter. LOL : )

17. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

Rebuilding Help

I pulled the ram and motor off the Western Uni-mount this afternoon and opened it up. The first thing I noticed was the new filter was all filled up. This makes me believe that my problem is contamination of the fluid. I pulled out the crossover relief valve and it was cruddy and had rust on the screw. The O rings looked okay. The poppet valves have to come out. They are all peened over, do they take an allen wrench or are the a socket head, I can't tell. When I took out the pump, the magnet was full of black crud. I spent a lot of time trying to clean this half a**ed and think this is my problem. Are these poppet valve heads screwed in, and are they available to purchase ? I believe if I tear this thing apart and give it a complete cleaning - overhaul, it will work fine. I just don't know the mechanics of the system. If anybody can provide me with some guidance ,I think this plow will work well. Otherwise, It's rebuild the old Ford motor and run the old cable system. Never had any problems with that old thing.
    Thank you.

18. dieselss

Sorry Stan. Out plowing tonight

19. dieselss

20. stan3ley

stan3ley Junior Member
    from Mi.

I apologize for my faux pas. I did the testing with my ohm meter instead of a light as I had no one to help me and I could hear the tone from the meter. My brother came by to plow me out, I did use the test light and the solenoids did energize. I disassembled the valve manifold and found what I believe is the problem. I down loaded the manual to use as a guide, and found the spring for the poppet check valve spool ass'y crushed and broken in pieces. Do you know a resource where I may get the parts I need, or should I try ebay ? The problem is I don't know what classification this motor and pump are listed as.
    Again thank you for your help, I didn't mean to break protocol, or show any disrespect toward you.
    Thank you again,
    Stan