1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by eds1200, Dec 26, 2008.

1. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

Need some advice. I have a 2002, 2500 hd silverado with a 8 ft western unimount straight blade. I installed a new wiring harness complete with all relays but still have the same prob that i had with the old harness. Once I plug in the harness to the plow both the hi and low beams on the plow come on at the same time. if switch over to hi beams they turn off. my hi beam indicator on the dash also stays on when the plow is plugged in.I went over the wiring on the relays per schematic time and time again and i am confident that they are correct. any advice would be appreciated.
    THANKS. ED.

2. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

I guess nobody has ran into this problem before. or everyone is stumped

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Wrong cross harness.

4. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

all harnesses are correct part numbers according to western

5. Crash935

are you close to GR?

6. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

No i am about 3 hours away from GR.

7. Crash935

Move closer and then ill fix it for ya.

let me think on your problem, have an idea, just have to look into a few things before i start throwing things at you.

8. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

I have nothing but time. thank you for any info...

9. Crash935

What cross harness (harness between headlights) do you have. There should be a tag on the end close to the relays. 5 digit #, should start with 61 or 62.

10. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

I have two tags. main tag is #26071
    the other is on the harness that goes to the solenoid and that # is 61437

11. Crash935

Had a friend who alos works with westerns check this thread and were thinking you actually have a 03 truck. Check the build date on the inside of the drivers side door jam and let us know what it says.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Been thinking the same thing Crash..but the build date wont give you enough info...

To positively identify the truck as either neg or pos common light system check the wire colors at the head light sockets.

99-02 positive common is:

Orange
    Purple
    Yellow

'03-up negative common is:

Yellow
    Green
    Black (or grey)

13. Crash935

No lead and I were thinking he has one of those late 02's with the 03 wiring. Couldn't think of the wire colors and didn't want to get the book out to look yet.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very possible..run across a few of those here and there. Colors will tell all. :waving:

15. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

The build date on the truck is oct of 01. I took delivery of the truck in nov of 01. a little more info I should have mentioned is that I installed aftermarket HID headlights withe their own ballasts. in order to make them work on this truck I had to reverse the polarity of all four of my headlight harness plugs on the truck. I also did try removeing the HID system and returned the harness to OEM polarity but still had the same problem. I hope this bit of info helps. I am stumped!!!!

16. Crash935

And the plot thickens,

The only thing that i can think of is that you didnt get one of the plugs switched back to OEM.

B&B, can you pull anything out of the air for this one???

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Same thing here Crash...either he's not getting the OEM pins back in place correctly or there's actually a wiring issue (ground possibly) on the plow side. Only two real possibilities.

18. eds1200

eds1200 Junior Member

Well I will try it again and keep you posted on the results. thanks again for all the input.
    ED

19. Crash935

Just wondering if you got it figured out yet????

20. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

might it be a ground problem with the benzel in the turn sig? I thing that was a prob i had on my 98 and just got new plow side wire harn