1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount headlights out

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jimbo26, Jan 16, 2012.

1. jimbo26

jimbo26 Junior Member

While plowing over the weekend I lost the headlights on my unimount plow. Headlights and DRLs still work on the truck. Turn signals are working on the plow and so are all the controls. I was thinking about just replacing the plow side 9 pin plug. Any other suggestions?
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Do the brights work on the plow? Does it still switch over or do the truck headlights stay on now?

Headlights run through relays, blinkers and markers are tied directly in. The brown park light wire triggers the relays to switch. You have markers so it's probably not that. If they aren't switching, you probably need a relay. If they are switching, you may have a broken terminal in the plug or bad bulbs. Start testing wires and report back.

It will help knowing what truck it's on. The 6 relay GM's can get a bit more confusing.
  3. jimbo26

jimbo26 Junior Member

No brights either. The headlights stay on on the truck. I was jiggling the plug and the headights on the truck switched off and then I got one brief flash from the plow headlights. That was it. Can't even get it to do that again. Truck side harness is ony 3 yrs old, plow side is much older. It's a 2003 GMC with DRLs. Thanks for the reply.