1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount Comes up slow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mow-it-alls, Feb 19, 2016.

1. mow-it-alls

mow-it-alls Junior Member

Hey there,

I've been thoroughly digging for answers to this, but couldn't find any. I have a 1993 F250 with a similarly aged Unimount Western setup. It's been giving me issues since I've had it. Basically, it takes about 7 seconds to raise the blade from the ground to all the way up. This is WAY slower than my other truck's unimount with a new pump. However the left to right is fast as new. When it's warmer out, the plow seems to rise a tad faster, but it still isn't where I'd like it. I was toying with the little valve (screws in and out to speed up/slow down plow drop speed) and for some reason when I screwed it in tighter, it dropped quicker, although I read the opposite. The truck also has a brand-new battery, and fresh fluid. It took 3/4 of a quart, so it could have been low before.

Basically, I was wondering if it could be the motor (although it's clearly making noise and raising the plow) or the pump. Should I replace the pump?

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Get a 5000lb gauge and do a pressure test. You can take the motor off and take the top off, give it a look. You did clean the filter.