1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western unimount bottoms out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by neilc, Jan 22, 2002.

1. neilc

neilc Junior Member

have 8' PRO PLOW uni mount ON 2002 CHEV CAB & HALF ,2500hd, 2=2/2 DOORS , 6 1/2' bed, snow plow prep,
    problem , uni mount reciever horns ride low to ground and will bottom out, I feel like I'm plowing in a vette every now and then ,never had this problem with 86 3/4 ton 8"plow on same driveways, any help???
  2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Ive seen the new Western Mounts on the new GM HD's, they do hang rediculously low! Cant even pull up to a curb or parking stop. Did you crank up your torsion bars yet? How about some 235/85-16's they will add an inch or two and give you better traction to boot.
  3. neilc

neilc Junior Member

hey tom ,or any one , tell me more about crankin up them torsion bars ! by the waY FRONT TIRES AT FAC. 60# , APPROX 200-300# SAND BEHIND REAR AXLE, AND I KEEP hittin the cap lock
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

To crank the torsion bars, get a 18mm (I think) 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar and turn them both up about 3-4 full turns (oh, the bolts are located at the rear torsion bar crossmember. This will raise the front suspension about 1-2" (just level the rake out) Then go out and get an alignment. Thats something you should get soon anyway because the factory specs are very broad! Also, your 245/75-16's are OK, but many prefer the 235/85-16's for their taller skinnier profile which is good for getting the most PSI of the truck to the ground. As for tire air pressure, I'd bump up the front to around max (should be 80psi)for the plowing season, as the front end is at the max GVW with the plow on.

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think the solution is to crank up the torsion bars. I am sure Western designed the mount without the necessity of turning the torsion bars up. Perhaps this comment / question should be relocated to the Western forum. Maybe they can offer a different solution.

I have installed a lot of Western unimounts on GM's and have never seen the reciever ride that low.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The new style Gm trucks sit way to low,IMO,it was one of the reasons I chose a Dodge over them,they are just to darn low.I dont think plowing was high on the GM's list of things the truck should do well.You should see the boss frame mount,boy it is low on the new HD too.My 2 K2500's are marginal with ground clearance,and they have at least 3-4 more" of clearance than the new ones do.I agree,jacke the bars,at least 2 turns,but no more than 4,I get 1/2" raise for every turn on mine.Larger tires are the only other option to raise it up a bit.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2002
  7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

We have had a few customers of the 2001 and 2002 Silverado Chevy trucks that have the "plow prep package" have the dealer that sold the truck do the adjustment and an alighment at no charge due to low ground clearance with the plow installed. Should you want to adjust them yourself you'll find that it's "much" easier to do the adjustment if you get the weight off the the front axle by lifting the truck by the plow frame. I would try the two full turns to start too.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Clockwise to raise
    Counterclockwise to lower

JUST IN CASE!!!!!