1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount angle problem - Help Please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by thebigdog, Jan 22, 2009.

1. thebigdog

thebigdog Junior Member

Greeting all, I have a question and hope someone can help me please.

I have a Western unimount plow, which is occasionally acting weird.
    Sometimes when I try to angle it to my left, it will move to the right instead.
    It may only move slightly to the right or sometimes it goes all the way first.

After that it angles to the left just fine until it’s next nervous breakdown.
    It is however freaking me out, since it seems like it will cause more problems later.

I have drained and flushed the unit and cylinders, and replaced all the ATF.
    I removed the cartridge/coil cover, and checked the 3 solenoid valves.
    All the o-rings were perfect.
    I also checked the poppet check valve spool & poppet assemblies
    The o-rings in these were also fine.
    I even changed controls in the cab with a known working one, and the same problems.

I used to understand my old Meyers pumps pretty good, but this is my first Western.
    Can anyone PLEASE give me a suggestion – I’m totally lost now ???? :confused:

Thank you

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

About the only thing left on the pump would be a weak coil on the S3. Coil should have 7 ohms resistance at room temp. Other than that, a harness issue.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Sounds to me like a solenoid cartridge valve is sticking occasionally.

Had the same thing happen to my Unimount- replaced the longest one of the three and the problem stopped.

Also get rid of the ATF and use western fluid instead. After all it's a snowplow and not an automatic transmission.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what controller do you have? if handheld that is likely your problem. if joy stick, when it malfunctions hit it hard the other way. make any difference? swap s2 coil for s3 coil. they are all the same.
  5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

what is the condition of your grill connectors?
  6. bad grill connectors was my same problem had to change them out and problrm went away.
  7. thebigdog

thebigdog Junior Member

First I need to tell everyone, THANK YOU for all the help & suggestion.

I started checking all the solenoid coils, and they all had the proper Ohms.
    The solenoid valves were cleaned & checked and all were in good shape.
    The angling problem was still there, but at least these items were eliminated.

This meant that it had to be either a bad controller or some short in one of the connectors.
    I than decide to check and clean every connection I could find.
    I used one of the electronic part cleaner spays used for cleaning PC components.
    (These things work great and dry almost instantly with no residue)

While cleaning the vehicle harness connection with the spray, I was shocked:
    The spray had turned from clear to black, with all the gunk that it was cleaning out.
    Before this – they had looked slightly dirty, but I obvious could not see all this crud.
    I kept spraying and cleaning until the leftover spray started coming out clear again.
    I thank gave a little spray of WD40, in order to give it some protection.

I tested the angling on the plow again, and the problem no seems to be totally gone.
    I guess that current from one of the harnessing terminal, was leeching over the grease to another terminal.

So I guess my whole problem was due to excess old greasing in the harness connection.
    Something so simple – yet it took me a couple days to find it.

The bottom line is that the problem is now fixed! wesport

Thanks again for all the help everyone contributed.
  8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Good Deal! :drinkup: