1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Unimount A-Frames are not so pro

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Watkins, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Watkins

Watkins Member

Over the past couple years I have found that the western unimount a-frames are not durable for picking small piles apart so I recently built my own from heavier stock.

If anyone needs one made lemme know and I can accommodate.

Broke one a-frame
    [​IMG]

Broke another a-frame
    [​IMG]

Rebuilt beefy a-frame
    [​IMG]

Installation of new a-frame
    [​IMG]

Lets hope this one holds up, if not I will no longer be using the western unimount for commercial use.

I already know it's not a commercial plow but I gave it a shot lol.

2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

haha i have yet to do that but if some day i do ill be sure to talk to you

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Wow that looks beautiful, nice job:salute:
    How much thicker is the new material?

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I know the unimounts are aging but I've never heard of anyone having a ton of problems with them while using them for commercial use. Up until the ultramounts came out and Boss started to get popular in my area I'd say 95% of the plows were unimounts and plenty were used for commercial use.

I used to have a unimount on my old truck before I got my "new" chevy and the boss v. 3 seasons of commercial use under my owner ship and very few problems. The people before me bought the plow new in 95 and it was used for commercial use it's whole life. I couldn't find anywhere on it that had been patched back together.

5. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

I never had an ounce of trouble with my old unimount Pro Plow either. But if you want something tougher, get a PRO PLUS.

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's not a bulldozer blade....

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I really thought I tested the outer limits of the Western A-frame with my skid plows, but you certainly take the cake. I've seen many that tear the pivot hole out of the A, or even the upper plate breaks off from the quad wearing though it, but have never seen the frame break where your's have. Can't believe you actually broke two of them, and the truck still moves. Nice work on the new one though, excellent fabrication skills...... :salute:

8. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

i wouldnt have beefed it up because now if the mount doesnt break, something else is going to take the grunt and break..

9. Watkins

Watkins Member

Yea, the pivot hole broke during a heavy snowfall a couple weeks ago I brought it in and within an hour I was back up and running after filling and drilling a new pivot hole only to have the a frame break later, it may have been due to extreme cold and hitting manholes in a small condo complex too.

I learned after hitting the 1st one at 10 miles an hour where they were located.

[​IMG]

There is no place else left to break except the pivot point in the future and if im only down for one hour on occasion it would be the least of my worries.

The plow carriage was attached and braced with x2 4" 3/8 steel angle iron to the center of the frame.
    The truck frame is also re-enforced / shimmed with 4" c-channel from the radiator support to the rear bumper.
    The rear bumper is 230 lbs of 9 ? inch c-channel as well and accommodates the back blade.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks good do you think it would be wise to put a piece of flat stock behind where the quadrant slides? Looks to me that's where you issues are. I'd fill that in a little. JMO otherwise it looks good. What fire dept are you on? I noticed your pager in one of the pics.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have rebuild (and beefed up) several unimount plows for customers who just wanted to get one more year out of it... that's always the case... just one more year and then I will buy a new ultra mount. I found that when you fix the pivot point then the a-frame breaks, when you fix the a-frame then the mounts brreak, and on and on... They were a good plow in their day but that day is over don't you think? For comercial use they just don't take the beating. People used to use Model Ts for taxis back in the day too, but like the unimount they saw their day come and go.

The biggest problem with the unimount the the greatest advantage of the ultra mount is the absence and presence of the pivot bar. The unimount relied on slopynees in the pivot to compensate for irregular surfaces while the ultra mount is actually designed to "roll" with the road. Spend the money and buy a new plow. Those who fail to evolve with the times are condemed to the problems of the past.

All that aside... your work looks first rate, awsome fab job! You should be building tanks man!

12. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Yes I need some work done on mine. It's 17 years old and the holes are egged out . Looks like you do quality work. Where are you located?

13. Watkins

Watkins Member

I am located near the city of Spring Lake in a vague vicinity, I am in Nunica near spring lake and Grand Haven is that anywhere near you ?

The egged out bolt holes are generally a simple repair with minor cost especially when the plow parts are removed and the single parts are picked up or sent / brought to me.

It's best to have just the worn parts disassembled and repaired.

As far as me being on the fire dept anymore, I am not the guy in the pic was not me it was my best friend and co-worker.
    He's still on the dept, has been for something like 12 years, he's one of the senior officers now which if pretty cool, he's done very well for the fire dept.

14. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

On mine the curved piece of steel behind the moldboard keeps popping out of that C collar looking deal , after taking it apart twice , and then having a cylinder die , I'm wondering if I should throw any more money at it . Awesome fabricatio , by the way !

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a standard duty uni A frame or a heavy duty? Mine had an x set of members in it to help support it.

16. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

I dunno. Plow came with the truck . I'm non-commercial. It's pretty heavy duty now , I reinforced it with some plate steel , but the pivot plate is bent to heck and back , that's why it keeps popping out of the collar.

17. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Show some pictures

18. KC9MDQ

KC9MDQ Member

I'll post some in my "New A-Frame Needed" thread when I get home from the day job today. I don't want to hijack this person's thread any more than I have already.

19. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

KC9M

I left you some info on your post