1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western unimount 63300 on a 2004 1500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dpw2002, Mar 14, 2015.

1. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Bought a new 63300 mount for my 2004 chevy 1500. It was built in December '98. The mount has 2 mounting holes vertically on each side of the top of the frame. Looked at a 2002 1500 and both sets of holes were used. I've seen photos of newer 63300 with only 1 set of holes. Should I use both sets of holes on the 2004 or just the lower set?

2. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Are 99-02 truck frames different than 03-07 frames? Same part # but first manufactured uni mount frames have 2 sets of holes while later frames have 1 set.

3. loyjms

loyjms Member

I do believe they are the same frame. If you can use both holes then use them.

4. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Thanks for the input. I won't install it until summer.

5. loyjms

loyjms Member

We have an 03 at work so I will look tomorrow to be sure.

6. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Thanks, Did you get a chance to look at the '03?

7. loyjms

loyjms Member

Sorry I did not, truck was out of the shop but should be able to take a look tomorrow.

8. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

OK, Thanks

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Do you mean at the very top of the mount, where you have a bolt on the inside and the outside of the truck frame on each side?
    Like pic 4 on these instructions?:

They didn't change the mount for the 03-06, but I do remember they used to use a long bolt all the way across the frame, and they changed to the little 1/2 x 1 bolts on each side instead. (in fact the pic shows the short bolts, but the text still says a 1/2 x 5-1/2 bolt).

Attached Files:

10. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Yes, the bolt bag that came with the mount has 4 long bolts, 2 each side. I couldn't pull up the attachment you sent(I hate windows 8, reader is full) but the later date mounts used the 1/2X1 bolts. I thought there were only 1 set of holes on each top side of the mount using the 1" bolts, 2 each side. Is it better to use the long or the short bolts during the installation? Thanks for your patiences

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmmmm. ok now I get what you mean. then no, the current version just has one hole on the inside and outside of each side of the frame. so you shouldn't need to use two long bolts (or 4 short bolts) on each side of the truck frame.
    I don't remember why they changed to the short bolts. I assumed because of interference with something in between the frame on some trucks. or they just figured out it was easier that way.
    I do remember when it used long bolts, but I don't remember that the used 4. I can't find a pic in our old book that even shows the long bolts. short bolt pic goes back to oct 2002.

12. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

My parts list is dated Nov.1,1998. It shows 2 1/2X5-1/2 with 2 frame spacers (sleeves, maybe so the truck frame doesn't crush when the bolts are tightened) per side. My mount has 2 holes on the inside and 2 on the outside of each side of the mount . Like you said the newer version has 1 hole. Should I install the mount using the 2 holes like my version shows or the 1bottom hole like the current version shows.

13. loyjms

loyjms Member

From what I can see the frames are the pretty much the same.

14. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

Thank you for looking. I've only looked at one mount on a 99-02 1500 and it is the same as mine. Not too many 03-07 1500 's unimounts around here, most are ultramounts.

15. loyjms

loyjms Member

Same here most guys still running the Uni have gone to using the ultramount and using an adapter. Somwguys like it not having the mount hanging down all summer.

16. dpw2002

dpw2002 Junior Member
    from NNJ

I paid a little more for a new unimount frame but it gives me more ground clearance than using the adapter.