1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Uni on an 05 Silverado

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Gear_Head, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Well I am hoping a member on here has a newer silverado with the front bumper and molding like mine does. I have looked over the Internet and Western's website and have not found a finished photo of what the Uni-Mount will look like, or what kind of modifications I will need to do to the lower plastic. I know I could just leave it off, but I like the look of it on.

My last plow was a conventional Western on a 79 F-250 that I sold because I had too many toys. After being a winter without a plow, here I am with a summer project.

I have an 05 Silvy Ext cab 4X4 that I am putting an 8ft Pro unimount on. A bit more plow than I wanted, but the deal was right. This is only for my country drive.

thanks for any help, this site is a WEALTH of information from what I can already see.

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Shoot me your email and I will see if I still have a photo of my buddies 06 with the unimount on it to send you.:cool:

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Western's website should have the installation instructions for those years...it only requires 2 cuts in the plastic.
    I cut mine as close as possible when I installed it, it works just fine.
    Use some cable ties to tie down the loose ends of the cut areas when it gets done and everything will be fine.....

4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I have a 7.5' Unimount that I'd be happy to trade for your 8'...

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I have about 6 I'd do the same................one's a Std Duty. :cool: :)

6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I even printed them out, I didn't see where they said anything about trimming the plastic, although I figured it would be required. I may have over looked it while I scanned thru it all.

7. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

The plow is pretty rusty with two pin hole spots, I gotta get it cleaned up and fixed since I am anal about my plows looking sharp.

I will keep you guys in mind, because I was actually thinking of doing just this. I kinda want to get it on the truck and see if my half ton can even handle it. My old pro made my 79 250 with helper springs in the front squat a bit, so I am worried bout this soft suspension.

If you guys don't mind the looks and yours are a bit cleaner, let me know.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

On my truck, I used ultramount buckets/brackets and a unimount to ultramount adapter. I didn't have to cut my plastic, I just tucked it under the mount and tightened it down. If you would like, I could take a picture of it for you or if you're close enough you could stop by and see it for yourself.

p.s. I bought the ultramount brackets from got-h20 and he was great to deal with. The plows he sells are all top notch.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Email didn't work but it sounds like you have the info already?

10. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

yeah, we should be good thanks.

11. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I saw where somebody here locally had tucked theirs, so I will keep that in mind when I do my install.

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Thanks bud ;)

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

here is how I did mine. I didn't feel like fighting with the plastics everytime I hooked and unhooked my plow

1010101.jpg

14. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Very cool. Thanks for posting up, I hope to be mounting mine very soon. Even though I didn't see in my instructions that I have to remove my tow hooks, looked to me like I have too. Am I seeing correct that you left yours on?

15. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Remove the tow hooks, Phil left his on but its not recomended because they are a cast material and could break with the constant load on them.

16. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

ahh. thanks for the heads up and quick reponse. i am wanting to install this so bad the wait is killing me

17. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

quit waiting and get to it already!!!!!

18. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

Waiting on the local Western Dealer to get the re-enforcement plates in and I gotta make those special bolts for it on Tuesday. I should be installing the harness Tuesday as well.

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

correct. you are not suppose to leave you tow hooks on... but i have never followed directions well.;)

20. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

ok, I made the custom bolts for it.

Where are guys hooking the main power and ground too, since the battery in this truck has those crappy side screw down posts?