1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western uni mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by time, Sep 26, 2014.

1. time

time Junior Member

I am thinking of replacing the lights on my western uni mount plow they are showing some corrosion on the inside of the housing and was wondering if there was a conversion that has worked for others

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Conversion as in how? It's just wires, cut and splice. But imo don't get the cheap snowplow lights (aftermarket type lights) they are terrible. What kind were you leaning towards?

3. time

time Junior Member

leaning towards a light with more output then sealed beams that are there now? have not really set my mind to anything as of yet

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy the sealed beam with the replacement light bulb. I have that set up. Or you could go the led route

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is a kit for putting the new Nighthawks on a uni but it's only an adapter plate, no electrical. The problem you have is that your uni is probably still the original relay setup with two plugs so you would have to butcher the wiring together. I don't know if you have a uni straight or uni V but there are some issues with upgraded lights not getting enough power to work well because, depending on the system, you may have only one wire and one plug pin feeding both high beams and another single wire and pin feeding both low beams. The new Nighthawks have a plug dedicated to lights. They have a dedicated wire for each lamp and for each beam. That is, there are four + wires coming from the truck to the lights. With the two plug uni there can be too much current drawn by the new lights. Result could be yellow light (too low voltage) and heat being generated at the plug pins leading to corrosion and pre-mature plug failure. Something I have been wanting to try is HID (high intensity discharge) lamps. They are very bright but they need a dedicated positive wire directly from the battery positive post. The good thing is that the original lamps plugs / wires only provide and activation signal to fire them up. The current used to make them run actually comes through the extra wire. It might be pricey in the end but you could install a set of nighthawks on the original two plug wiring and then upgrade them to HID and add one small plug at the grill for that direct battery + wire. You would have some awesome bright lights and no issues with too much current at the plugs. I just installed an HID upgrade to a Toyota today, the HID kit only cost $125 Cdn. I am sure you could find an HID kit for the H13 bulbs in the Nighthawks. Check these out for $36 http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BI-X...key=6vYvMRFf&gclid=CMq31MCNgMECFYdlfgodf0EAeA

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014