1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Uni-Mount Pro not going left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by WheelerandSon, Feb 26, 2015.

1. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

I have a uni-mount pro that generally works pretty great, but last couple snows after plowing for an hour or two, it does not want to angle left. I switched to a new controller hoping that would help, but it did it again. I did the old wiggle the wires and double checked all connections. I have every other function, just not left. When it screws up, i do not hear the solenoid click or hear the motor pull down. If I plow for a little bit in what ever direction its stuck in, I will try to tilt left, and sometimes it comes back.

We also tried swapping out a complete pump and motor from our spare plow and it still has the problem. I replaced the solenoid on the truck too.

I almost wonder if i have a bad ground in the harness between the controller and the plow. Still makes no sense why i have up, down, and right without issues.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. bammbammfran

bammbammfran Junior Member
    from USA

Not an late 90s-early 2000 dodge is it ? If it is, what is your amp gauge showing
    Are you using a handheld or joystick ?
    Do you hear a faint click or hum under the hood when hitting left

3. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

its on a 1997 Chevy K1500. Joystick not hand held. This is the second controller ive tried. Did same thing with old and new one. I do not hear any hum or click under hood when it happens.

4. bammbammfran

from USA

I assume that both controllers that you used were joysticks ??

Since western straight blades use the right coil and up coil at the same time to get the left function to work, then your wires and coils should be ok since right and up work.
    Since left uses two coils and the motor solenoid and uses the most power of any function, What it sounds like is that you are probably not getting enough voltage out to the motor solenoid switch to activate it.
    My brothers dodge ram had this exact issue and had to switch over to one of my custom built electronic joysticks to get things to work right.

If you have a voltage tester, check the voltage at the motor solenoids small wire stud when you use up and then check right, and I would be willing to bet that if you check it when using left that your voltage may be 1volt or more lower. If that is the case, try a new solenoid switch. We did not try that on my brothers because we did not have one handy and were in a time crunch, so he just grabbed on of my controllers.

Only other thing that it could be would be if both of the controllers that you had (assuming they were both joysticks), both had bad left switches, but, my guess is that is probably not the case.

5. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

Yes it they were both joysticks. Its funny that you mention the voltage issue, because when it would act up, we did put a voltage tester on it. We tested it at the solenoid under the hood and when i tried to go left, it pulled it down to 7.9 and 8 volts. Solenoid did not click, and motor did not do anything. When we went right or up, it pulled down to 9 volts i think.

Please note, we had just changed the solenoid with a new one at the time we tested the voltage. I suppose its possible that I got a bad solenoid. Batterty is new too. We did a load test on it and the alternator and both test good. Just seems weird that it is intermittant.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i just posted a thread a few days ago with the exact same issue. for me a new solenoid did the trick, but it is possible your new one was bad too. read about it here:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=161380

and i'm not surprised to see such low voltage readings. as you'll see in my post above, there was some dispute over whether or not that voltage would be what is at the battery, or something less. this weekend i'm gonna check what my voltage reads, but 8-9 volts does not surprise me.

7. bammbammfran

from USA

That voltage is probably about 1 volt lower than I remember seeing and that is probably just enough to stop the motor solenoid from turning on completely.

Voltage loss comes from connections, length of wire and the fact that it has to go through 2 switches at the controller and 3 diodes and then the plugs.

Since you have a tester, check your voltage going into the controller. Since this is a joystick, the wires are probably exposed at the 6 pin plug.
    The 12 volt pin will be on the red wire on the harness side and the white wire on the joystick side.
    See if you have just over 12 with truck not running and almost 14 with it running, then see if that voltage drops when you hit the controller functions.
    If voltage drops, clean the in line fuse ends and the pins at the 6 pin plug. You can also tighten the pins at the six pin plug a bit. Male pins on the control side have a slot that runs top to bottom and that can be widened a little bit with a thin exacto blade

8. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

what type solenoid do you guys suggest using? Initially it had a old chevy style starter solenoid with the ground being one of the smaller studs. The night it was giving me fits, i went to the parts store and grabbed whatever they had which was an old ford style starter solenoid which grounds itself to the body.

9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you defintely do not want an automotive type starter solenoid. you need one designed for snowplows.

heres the style i've been using for years. they are cheap and i get 2-3 seasons out of them - probably 200-250 plowing hours. they've always been good to me, but quality is probably down every year like most things these days...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...w4e5P-codbVTMEt1F9q35zyIfGK6dvKfFERoCW7zw_wcB

but after having to replace 2 this season alone, i put in an order early this week for this one. this is the best you can get from what i understand. it's about twice the size of the other style so mounting it may be a challenge, but once it's on, it seems they last forever.

http://shopping.murcal.com/Catalog/Bear-DC-Contactor-Family/114-1211-020

10. WheelerandSon

WheelerandSon Member

that second one is a big sombitch

11. macbe

macbe Junior Member

had the same thing happen to my western sundaynite.wouldnt go left,when it did just jerked couple times than nothing.checked for loose wire,leaking fluid nothing.sat for about 15 min.tried it one more time, started to work and worked for the next 4hrs with no issue.still have no idea wht caused the problem.