1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western uni mount lifting question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by devypower, Dec 8, 2012.

1. devypower

devypower Junior Member

new to posting on this form, i have been using the site for years to answer my questions though. i can usually get the required info in a search but not so this time. i have a western uni mount pro 7' 6" on a ram 2500, brand new harness, all new grounds, 2 new 1000 cca batteries, 140 alternator, new flush and filter with western fluid. the wad packing were all removed and oiled and move free like they should. all that said here is the issue, the plow works great all directions but i decided to put some wings on this season and the plow struggles to lift them. i take them off and the plow goes up in about 2 seconds and turns full right to left in 3 seconds (actual time clocked). what gives im not understanding this. i have a different truck and no problems same wings. if i sit on the plow it will not even lift my body weight. any advise would be great
    :mechanic:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get a gauge on it and check pump pressure. It's likely low.

3. devypower

devypower Junior Member

if low would it be pump or motor?

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Just would probably need adjusted

5. devypower

devypower Junior Member

what would i adjust? i have never done an adjustment on a plow. how would i go about it please explain and thanks

6. devypower

devypower Junior Member

just found some info on here about it i will try this, thanks guys. i will let you know how it pans out

7. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Check out the Mechanic's Guide for troubleshooting info (plus all kinds of other good stuff).

8. devypower

devypower Junior Member

OK got it fixed made a pressure gauge, tested and it was only at 1500 psi so i followed the steps in the guide and turned the screw in the pump a little over 3/8 turns bumped the pressure to about 1700 psi but still would only lift the plow about 6" off the ground with me sitting on it, so i changed out the motor with one i have had on the shelf for about 3 years and not sure if it even worked but to my surprise it took it to almost 1800 psi and lifts all the way up with me on it and im 220lbs so i would say it is fixed enough to put the wings back on and run it, thanks to all you guys for the help, it helped out tremendously. hope i can pass on some knowledge to you next time