1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Uni mount lift cylinder problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jimmyk1978, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jimmyk1978

jimmyk1978 Junior Member

Looking for some information, Usually I can put my plow down and compress the cylinder by hand to unhook the chain. Now I can not even get it down if I hit it with a hammer. Blade goes up and down fine but I need to get the ram down so I can get more travel. If anyone know what is going on with this please let me know.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

is it going into "float" mode when you push down on the controller, or handheld??? is the light coming on on the handheld if thats what you have??
  3. jimmyk1978

jimmyk1978 Junior Member

I have a dash mounted control, as far as I know it is in float, my control has no indicator to tell me it is in float.
  4. dieselss

Ok the square one. Can you put it in float and jack up the truck and see if the plow ram sucks in? Make sure you leave the controller on while you are doing this as well.
  5. jimmyk1978

jimmyk1978 Junior Member

Good call I will give that a shot. Thanks
  6. dieselss

Ok let us know what you find out
  7. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Drive the front tires on a curb then let the plow down. Or find a loading dock where you can let the plow hang over and then let it down.
  8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Make sure your controller is on
  9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Like the others say, it sounds like the float valve is not staying open but could be the packing nut is too tight. If it goes down when you hit the control perhaps you could get someone to hold the control in that position while you try to push the lift arm down. If it does go down under that curcumstanc then I suspect your controller is the problem. If it still does not move then try loosening the packing nut at bit. You could also try removing the plug from the base of the lift ram and then try to push down. But that can be messy.