1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western uni-mount goes up slow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MUNRO75, Sep 8, 2009.

1. MUNRO75

MUNRO75 Junior Member

Hello guys,
    I"m new here and actually just got my first plow (used) and the place installed it. they are a hard business to deal with and probley wont be much help. (if they ever get back to me)

in the mean time,
    i have a 7.6 western uni-mount on my 94' f-150, on the day i got it everything moved and seemed to work great.
    but, after sitting for the weekend it goes up very slow and stops before reaching max height.

do you guys have any idea what this could be.
  2. MUNRO75

MUNRO75 Junior Member

i dont think its the battery cause, the starter rolls over fast and starts the truck with no problems.
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check to make sure that the ground cable for the plow motor goes directly to the ground on the battery. Depending on which motor you have, newer ones have a ground stud on the motor, clean the ground at the pump itself. With the older ones without a ground on the motor, you end up using the entire pump unit to carry the ground, and since its a steel bolt into a aluminum case, you get corroision in the threads fo the bolt being used for a ground. After that, your looking at a weak motor, weak pump, pump pressure set to low or a weak battery.

And ill beat you to the next one, it will angle just fine with all the listed problems because it takes less effort to angle than it does to lift.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i am no expert, but did you check the fluid level? if yes, follow crashes advice.
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Proof right there that we spent to much time goofing off and not paying attention at all those Western Service School classes we attended:nod::nod::nod:
  6. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

On the top of the pump there is a small screw. I think it has a flat screwdriver head. Turning this adjusts the plow drop/raise speed. Only give it a quarter turn at a time.

Hope this helps
  7. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like low fluid it wont go all the way up. careful adjusting the quill you can easily blow up the pump
  8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've had this problem when the filter on the pump gets clogged. It'll get slowed and slower until it won't go up at all. maybe a fluid change and filter cleaning is in order.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drain the entire system, flush it with meyer hyda-flush (maybe the best thing they make:nod:) . I would remove the motor (it's easy) change or at least clean the filter and clean the inside of the pump housing out well. Then refill with a premium Snowplow hydraulic fluid. Ignore the cry of ATF premium SPF will speed the unit and lower amp draw all one shot.