1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Uni Mount doesn't angle left when lowered. Works fine raised.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by G.M.Landscaping, Feb 22, 2015.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

My western 7.5' uni-mount started to not angle to the left while plowing with it on the ground. Raise it up a little or all the way and it works fine. You can hear something clicking. Not sure if it's the solenoid or coil activating. Motor doesn't run.

Raised it works good.
    So the added resistance seems to be causing the problem. Like the coil is not fully energizing. Since angling left uses the 3 & 4 way coils wouldn't one being weak effect the other operations also?

Brought it home and now it's working again. I can't diagnose it now, but need to figure this out before the next storm. Because you know that's when it will stop working again.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it was the solenoid (motor relay) it would effect up, left and right, not just left angle. I would try a different controller. You probably hear the valve clicking but no power is being sent to the pump motor.

3. G.M.Landscaping

But why would it work after I raise it?

I have two trucks, but only use one at a time. I'll take the controllerr out of it and take it with me next time. If it acts up I'll switch it and see if that's it.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

if you hear something clicking it has to be relay or valve. I can't see how the blade position would affect it. If the motor isn't spinning then it has to be electrical and the only thing that would be left angle specific is the controller. My advise is specifically based on your description of symptoms. Let's start at the controller and work from there.

5. G.M.Landscaping

Sounds Good. It did sound more like the valve clicking.

Thanks. I'm taking my other controller next time.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No offence, but there is no way you could hear the valve clicking from inside the truck with it running, over all the other outside noise. It's the motor solenoid.

7. G.M.Landscaping

None taken.

When I was trying to figure it out ,I had the truck stopped. Door open and head outside of cab to see what I could hear what might be happening. It was a clicking noise near the pump. Not a distinct solinoid on inner fender clicking sound.

So when pushing left on the controller does it do two things: sends power to solinoid and power to coils. If its a bad controller it might be only activating coil? Not solinoid also?

8. dieselss

You may have heard the solenoid clicking, sounds like it's coming from "the front area"

Yes 2 signals.

9. dieselss

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, there's nothing I can think of that could make the motor not run when the blade is down, but work fine when it's up. Pretty much has to be some kind of random intermittent problem, that so far has just happened when the blade is down.
    Everything that has to happen electronically and hydraulically, are exactly the same whether the blade is up or down. The only thing that's different when it's down is that it's probably in float, which means the 2 way cartridge is open. But that has no effect on anything you are trying to do.
    So... things to try to see if they make a difference would be - the control, that's an easy swap, maybe check the grill connectors (does wiggling it make the problem better or worse), and maybe go ahead and change the motor relay if it's getting old.