1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western uni-mount angle question...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 55cgas, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 55cgas

55cgas Member
    from NJ

At the end of last season my plow would only angle right, when I tried to angle left it seemed like it wanted to go but wouldn't. It would move if I pushed it up against a telephone pole, so it isn't frozen. I'm trying to get the plow ready for the season and would like some help as to where to start looking. Thanks,Mike

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That sounds like the S3 valve. That's the one closest to the grill of the truck. First verify that the S3 coil is magnetizing when you hit left by holding a screw driver or some other ferrous metal object close to the end of the coil. If it's magnetized the screw driver will be attracted. If it does not magnetize then you have an electrical problem but if it does then replace the S3 valve cartridge. Here is a link to the relay uni mechanic's guide, page 9 shows the valves. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/27097_061503_web.pdf
    If that doesn't resolve the problem then look at the Pilot Operated check valve aka Poppet Check Valve kit. This is like a one way check valve so it opens naturally when you go right but has to be lifted with oil pressure when you go left. If it is sticky it will slow the flow of oil going left.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. 55cgas

55cgas Member
    from NJ

I don't have an ultra mount, I have a unimount, I don't know if that makes a difference.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

5. 55cgas

55cgas Member
    from NJ

Ok cool, thanks... This happened to me a couple years ago also, but it started working again and it was fine for a couple years, so I didn't think much of it. Thanks,Mike