1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Uni-Mount adjustments

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveK, Nov 25, 2001.

1. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I did do a search... I found one topic that explains the adjustments for a Western unimount pump here.
    But, in that thread, it says there are two cushion valves (one opposite the soleniods and one on the same side as the soleniods). According to the following exploded view, there is only one cushion valve, 44. :confused:

Here is my problem..... when angleing left, it comes to a sudden stop when I release the control. I mean it jerks to a stop. Up, down, and right angle seem fine. Does anyone have a GOOD description of the adjustments, and how to make them. You can refer to the image below since the parts are numbered.

[​IMG]

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Dave, Check out the "Known western mvp plow
    problem" thread here. That might be your problem !
    Let it snow.....................Geo

3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Thanks anyway, but this isn't a v plow. And it moves left and right just fine (the same speed even) but when releasing the control, it jerks the truck so hard the dashboard rattles. Only when moving to the left. I don't have a clue. Was hoping that with the HUGE number of members on here, that one or two might have worked as a Western repair mechanic or has seen or heard of this before. Short of draining/changing the fluid and taking it apart to clean all valves I am at a loss.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

DAVE, I have a new 7 1/2 straight unimount. It seems to jerk
    and jam as u describe. Could it be cuz its new ?
    No snow to work it yet. My other hard mount
    western seemed the same way ! Just was thinking
    it might have those same junky clamps as on the
    MVP????? That could be causing the problem.....

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

No it isn't new either. Here's some background on it. I bought it used (I know... sometimes I'm cheap) I don't remember it doing this in June when I got it, it seemed fine then.

Things I've done so far:
    Took out the cushion valves (I guess there is two like in the above mentioned thread. But the exploded view only appears to show one) Cleaned and checked them, and re-installed them, adjusting them as stated in the above thread.

Scratched my head.

Tried to convince myself that I would rather live with it like it is than take the whole thing apart to check and clean everything.

Decided I cannot live with it the way it is.

Got on my knees and prayed for the Plowsite gods to post a reply with an easy fix.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Best I can offer is to go to the Fisher web site and downlaod the mechanics guide to that style pump. Both fisher and western use alomost idendical pumps. The fisher uses a shorter lift ram but the electrics and hydros should be the same.
    http://www.fishersnowplows.com/index.asp
    Should be the bottom link.
    Dino

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Thanks Dino, I did that last night in a desperate attemp to find ANY mechanics guide for ANY pump. I knew Western and Fisher are both owned by Douglas Dynamics, but wasn't sure how close the pumps are.

I now have a theory. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good.
    It's a used plow. It has sat for awhile. The cylinder packing on the left side angle ram is a little dry. hmmmmm.
    Now to try it..... I was thinking about loosening the packing nut a bit, operate the plow back and forth, allowing it to leak out and lublricate the packing, then retighten it.
    Hey, it's just a theory...... but it's the best one I have.:)

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I had to do that this year on the one blade that sat outside this year. My little Meyer for my Toyota would not angle at all with the pump. I loosened the packing nuts and maually swung the blade back and forth. Took two of use really pushing until it loosened up. After it went back and forth freely I laid down a little oil on the cylinders and then changed the fluid and when I hooked it back up it angled fine.

9. diginahole

diginahole Member

DaveK- my lift cylinder was a real sticky this year (it would only drop 1/2 way) and all I did was pour some tranny fluid on it and the packing nut and it freed up really quick. The cylinder seems to stay wet just fine now. Its worth a try if a dry packing didn't seem to be the problem before.

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

diginahole and CT18fireman, sure... wait till I come up with a theory before helping me out. :) :p
    Now I am almost positive that that is what it is. If so, it would probably eventually "fix itself" but it is easy enough to give it a try. I will probably use diginahole's proven scientific method, "pour some tranny fluid on it" :) If that doesn't do it, I can always revert back to using manual labor and pick up a wrench.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sorry I saw Western and missed the rest. Not to familiar with them. OF course most plow functions are basically the same once you think about it. Fluid goes in cylinder moves. Fluid goes out cylinder moves. LOL a little more to it then that but that is what plowsite is for.

12. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Ok CT18fireman, you are forgiven. I usually don't look at Meyer posts myself. :D

The amount of highly complex technical product diagnosis and repair information sometimes confuses me....... when diginahole says "pour some tranny fluid on it ", do I need to use a certain kind of pouring device? Or can I just pour it out of the plastic container it comes in? Or should I use the actual fluid that is currently in my tranny. With so many options to consider, my head is starting to hurt.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

LMAO this is why I love this site!
    I don't think I will ever live down owning a Meyer though I think there are a lot of closet Meyer owners. Like I said I still think all plow in operation, excluding v's, are similiar.

Just for my 2 cents I would use a paper towel soaked with fluid to grease up the cylinder. Let a little run don into the nut. Will work better if it is loosened.

14. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Just for the sake of keeping this thread alive (and wasting server space).
    Could you elaborate on that. I don't understand how to loosen the paper towel.

ROTFLMAO ...... well not actually rolling on the floor, but laughing real hard. [​IMG]

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I usually look at the Meyer post because someone is complaining of a porblem. Don't see that as often with Western or Fisher. I don't know as much about Westerns as I do Fishers, Diamonds and Meyers.

Unwrap the plastic, Tear off two sheets of paper towels (look for the perforations) fold into a smaller size and soak wll ATF
    LMAO

16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

That did the trick. Thank you CT18fireman and diginahole for confirming what I suspected. And I never had to lift a wrench. :D

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Did you tear the sheets right atleast???

Glad to hear that you have it solved. I know there is nothing worse then having something work incorrectly. I would rather have it not work at all IMO.

18. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Actually I used diginahole's method, since the whole paper towel thing confused me:confused: :D

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am sorry:( I guess I need to do a better job describing things to people. I will try to be more clear. Maybe I will start a post on how to tear and fold towels.

Glad it worked out for you.