1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western ultramount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbutch83, Oct 22, 2002.

1. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Anyone have problems installing the new western ultramount. I have tried for 2 days, and can't seem to get one of the holes in the pivot plate to line up. The directions say that the plates are interchangable, and I swapped them, but still the same problem with the same plate. I don't know what to do, and I don't want to grind it down, not after paying $3000 for something. I also don't care for the instructions, they are pretty much helpless.

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

JOHN, I too have a heck of a time getting the ultra
    pins to go in or out. It seems to pull the front of my
    2500 down so they are a PIA to release or push in.
    Or get the feet to lock in place also.
    Cured the problem by putting a couple of cement
    blocks under the blade and dropping it down on
    them. Then the front of the truck raises slightly
    and the pins and feet lock/ unlock easily pull out
    or push in. Give it a try..................geo
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2002
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Take it back and get a Fisher.

Problem solved.

JK LOL

Sounds like the frame may be tweaked a bit. I have often had to give frames a little persuasion with a BFM on the first install. Often I think they get a little tweaked when being shipped. If something is not lining up this is a safe bet. If it is farther off then I would return the frame. Ot could have been mis-welded or formed in correctly.
  4. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I talked to my dealer, and he said that this is not the first time that there have been problems with the mounts. I had to grind about 1/8th of an inch off, to get everything to line up, and this was at the direction of my dealer. I am not very pleased Western at this point, I don't think that for the money, anything extra should be done to put the plow on. Also, there directions stink, and there is no help from them. Oh well, live and learn, but at least it is on, now let it snow.

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

First and foremost. The dealer is not trying to put one over on you by charging you for the install. You may be fully capable of putting the plow on, and that's not the big issue. The big issue is the truck dealers are constantly changing the trucks and the dealers get the current updates and headaches as they do the installs. You can save the money or in most cases try to beat the first storm you knew was coming by doing the install yourself instead of ordering your plow and having it installed 2 months ago to save money and time ( -------- dealer incentives for off season installs ------ hint! hint! ) of you can beat your head off the wall and use a BFH and a plasma cutter / welder to solve the problem at 2a.m. during the first storm.

On the 2003 Cheve and GMC HD's and the 1500's they changed the frame to accomidate the avalanche sheet metal.. ..... You have to grind 1/8 to 1/2 inch off the ears to get the ultramount frame on the truck.. ....

On the UNIMOUNTS order a new frame or have a plasma and torch handy.

BIG NOTE TO ALL ON THE NEW CHEVE'S they changed the wire harness again and you need the 12 pin lights and harness for the install on 2003 and newer.

6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Didnt the dealer test run the plow??
    I would think the installer would have any bugs like that worked out before you picked the truck up.
  7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I was actually installing the plow myself, my business partner used to work with the dealer that I got the plow from, installing plows. We both agreed, that when the time comes to get a new plow, to pay the dealer to install it, because this one was a royal pain. I have yet to hook it up to the truck, hopefully this weekend it will get done, they are not calling for snow anytime soon here. Still have to work the full time job to make the money, until the snow falls. My advice to anyone wanting to save the install money on a plow, don't do it, it only causes headaches.

8. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Frame Changes

Jerre is right on, you can't always blame the plow manufacturer for framework that doesn't fit. The truck manufacturer's change locations of holes and placement of brackets etc "after" the trucks have been used for plow frame design. And some of the truck frames are not the same from the differant locations that they are manufactured at. I know it's an on going problem for the plow designers to keep up with the running changes . :rolleyes:
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I just put on a used meyer c-8.5 on a Ford superduty (Excursion) and a Western V on a superduty 350, Yes it was a GIANT PAIN, especially the used one with no hardware. The western went on in a day and the meyer took 2.5 days (about 14 hours.) Yes I saved my self some (alot, about $1000 between the two) money, but more importantly I KNOW where everything is and have a better chance of fixing it.

I got help from Garagekeeper, and I took the trucks to a welding shop to have the holes drilled ($45) for each truck.

I don't have to keep either vehicle on the road (I only live two miles from work) so that helps.

I think you are better off for it. In the middle of a storm you will know more about your plow. There is no plow dealer within 100 miles of me! I really don't want or need to rely on someone that far away.

John (Garagekeeper) helped me, there is plenty of info on this board and Chuck's site. I think you will be fine. Heck I called meyer to ask some wiring questions and they were not any help either.