1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

western ultramount will not move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Danjo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

Hello
    Yesterday I bent an elbow fitting on my right power ram,so i tapped it out and put it back on and ran the plow back and forth a couple times to realize it needed fluid even though it did move
    once full with fluid it will not move,not even down, then a hour later i fiddled with it and it went down and stayed there,thought the motor sounded funny so i replaced it,that didn't work. I checked the valves and all will move except the 2 way which should not be the problem anyways.checked poppet and looked clean.maybe it's the pump,just seems like a funny coincidence.I can hear the valves click when plugged into the truck so I believe it to be a hydraulic problem.any help is appreciated and thanks for reading my awful typing

2. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

one other thing. should the s 1 valve visibly move when actuated or does the lift ram pressure do that for it?

3. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

Did moisture/water get into the fluid? If so, maybe it froze and you have ice build up in the lines blocking fluid from moving through? Are you able to pull it into a heated garage? If so, try that...drain all fluid and refill.

4. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

hello yard at work
    I did bring it in to check the o ring on the pump which isn't that old and looked fine
    it seems like it's either the pump or s3 but s3 moves a little when powered
    s1 does not move at all but should only effect lift and drop.
    oh well i don't know. thanks for your reply

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of ultra mount are you talking about, straight?

6. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

plow working but moving left when commanded up and won't go down
    should be s2
    will post my results once i get a new one

7. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

yes straight
    cleaned and fiddled with s2 seems to move but manual says it must be stuck shifted
    thanks

8. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

if I go right left really fast then down quickly it will drop. has to be s2,i hope

9. twinman326

Let assume your taking about a straight blade with a FloStat hydraulic system

S1= lower
    S2= right/left angel (motor on)
    S3= raise/left (motor on)

When you bench test, and add power to the coil (one side to ground, the other to power) the valve should spool (movement up and down. or in and out). If for example S2, and S3 have movement (using power, also using and object to manually push the valve up and down) with no restriction then the valve and coil are good. If for example S1 has free movement manually with no restriction, but when you use power to test the coil and the valve doesn't spool, try swapping another coil with the valve. When you re-test the valve with power to another coil and the valve spools, then the original coil is bad. If if still doesn't spool, then there is something wrong with the valve and should be replace..

Also check you grill connector.. Check the pins to make sure the are clean and making a tight connection..If they need (both connectors male/female) to be clean, use battery cleaner, let it soak for a couple of minutes and blow it out..Do this a couple of times.. Make sure you put dielectric grease before to plug the connectors back together.

Check the ground wire on the S valves to make sure it is making good contact. This wire should be blk/orn. It also comes from the motor relay (if you have one). Check to make sure all wires on the relay (solenoid) are clean and making good contact on the post..

If that doesn't resolve the problem

With the key on have someone move the joy stick to your desire position while he is moving the controller, twist the grill connector, if the plow moves in either direction (up down right left), you have a problem in the grill connector and should be repair

Check the controller connector under the dash. Make sure the pins are not bent or broker. If the connector look fine, move the controller to the raise position while wiggling the control harness. If the plow moves in all direction, check the harness for any possible brakes especially going through the firewall. Also check you controller (hand or joy) board and look to see if the wires are attach to the board, or any contamination on the board.. If so the board might have to be replace..If the plow doesn't move, try swapping out the controller and try again.

You could just have air in the system and it needs to be purge..

One more thing, you posted it was a ultra mount

What kind of plow?

Is it a mod system (3mod, 4mod, 2 or 3 wires)
    or
    a relay system (9 or 12pin)

Veh=make, mode,l year??

Keep us inform

10. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

hello twinman, first i would like to thank you for your concern
    it is a 2001 for F350 with an ultra mount straight blade bought new in 03
    it has 3 plugs,one has 3 prongs one has 2 big one + and - and the other has eleven
    i can hear each valve switch click when commanded
    s3 seemed to work when bench tested but upon stiffer manual pushing it clicked and moved in more,when i put it all back together the plow worked but is occasionally doing what i posted above.I can't get to the parts store until tomorrow morning. I always keep my connections good and greasy and don't believe it's an issue as everything seems to click properly.the manual says that that particular symptom should be s2 as when It sticks the plow will not go down and moves left when commanded up.
    thanks again,I will post my results and make an effort to get better at typing so I can possibly help someone else in the future.

11. twinman326

S2 only controls right and left anlge

Good luck....Keep us posted

12. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

well I worked it last night and it acted up on and off and eventually cleared up,must have have something floating back and for in the manifold
    I bought a new s2 but haven't changed it as it wasn't too much of an issue as far as slowing me down.supposed to get another blast tonight so we'll see

13. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

[URL="http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/27097_061503_web.pdf

14. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  15. twinman326

Have you try cleaning the grill connector??

16. twinman326

If your referring to the original problem (not lowering,angeling left, raise), then all three S valves are not spooling which I doubt. And if that was the case, that would indicate they were not getting power, or interment power..

Check the grill connector (plug that connect the truck to the plow)

trouble.jpg

trouble.jpg

17. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

those are all possible causes
    s2 being the common between the two reactions
    I can hear the valves click when commanded when I stretch the chord out and listen
    closely.thanks for your posts twinman I do appreciate your help

18. twinman326

Go back and re-read post#9..It will tell you what each controls..

Q= Does the plow function at this moment??

If it does, what function are operating (right,left,up,down)??

Have you try swapping out controllers?

My opinion, S2 is not the common between the raise or lower!!!

19. Danjo

Danjo Junior Member

well everything works fine now
    must have had something blocking something
    the way i figure it the plow will not drop if either s3 or s2 is stuck shifted even if s1 shifts because the fluid flows back through them when they are unspooled so if s2 is stuck spooled then the fluid can't get back to the res.and when you try to lift it will send fluid to the right ram.just my reasoning that any one of those problems can cause it not to lower and only one can cause it to angle left when commanded up.thanks again twinman

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011