1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western UltraMount sparks and smokes... Repair Help?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ajbalch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ajbalch

ajbalch Junior Member

I purchased a 4 year old Western UltraMount setup, and had it installed by a plow shop on my 2005 Ram 2500. It ran fine last year, although the power connector broke apart, and i quick fixed it with 2 starter cables I got at autozone... Worked fine, except you had to remove 2 nuts to remove the plow instead of using the quick connect. Not sure if that caused any of my problems, probably not.

Here's what happened: Put plow back on for first time this year, quick checked it, and it worked fine. Pulled out onto road, plow dropped about 2 inches from the road and then the pump just kept running. Pulled into a parking lot, and shut off the truck. Pump was still running. Smoke was coming out of the engine compartment - from the solonoid. It was pretty much melting in there. I quickly cut the power cable running to the pump motor near the bolt (literally - with tin snipps in the truck) - and the pump stopped. I was able to use the joystick to lower the blade the remaining 3 inches and remove it from the truck.

I will get a replacement wiring harness, and a new solonoid and reconnect it and see whats up. Any other ideas what i should do???

Thanks

AJ

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You just smoked a solenoid, replace that and any other wiring that needs to be replaced and you should be good. MIght be a good idea to get the right battery cable in there so if it every locks on again all you have to do is unplug the grill connectors.