1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western UltraMount Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bradfound, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bradfound

bradfound Junior Member

I recently purchased a use plow that was on a 1995 GMC 2500 HD and I want to put it on my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD, just to do a few drive ways. Not looking to spend a lot of upgrades between the trucks. Knowing I had to buy different mounts for the truck. It is the old style with the solenoid rather then the module. I was told the old style lights won't work on the 2008, is this correct? Any help would be most helpful.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fyi they both have solenoids. The ISO module is only on the ultramount.
    So my question is,, What do you really have? Ultramount or unimount?.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The headlights will work fine. You just need the correct wiring. How many plugs does the unit have? Sounds to me like you have an early ultra mount with the relay headlight controls so you will have two plugs. One for switched motor power and the second for lights and valves.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. bradfound

bradfound Junior Member

Thats correct. Its an early ultra mount with headlight relays. Was just gonna get it running without the lights as I was told that the light system on the 08 does compat with what was on the 95.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So you'd just need new headlight adaptors

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no, you were told right, there's no relay wiring headlight harness available for HB3/H11 lights, or H13 lights, or HIR2/HB3 lights. So basically any newer truck would need iso wiring to be able to switch the lights over automatically. You would need all iso wiring for the truck, and also wiring to convert the plow from relay to iso.

7. mishnick

The plow will work without tying into the lights. You could wire in a manual switch to go from truck to plow or convert to 3 plug isolation module but that would cost $$$. That means new wires for truck and plow.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, that's why I said 'to get the lights to switch over automatically'.

9. mishnick

Perhaps, if you don't want to spend a lot, and you don't have the electrical skill to design and install a manual switch over system you could just connect the plow and truck low beams in parallel. It sucks when your truck lights glare back at you when the plow is up but if you only do a few driveways it would get you by and be very simple. You can't connect both high and low beams because on GM both high and low are on in high beam mode. This would burn out the sealed beams on the plow. Western has a relay adapter to prevent that on the new plows.