1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultramount on 01 dodge ram 1500 headlight problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cj7plowing, Feb 20, 2009.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I just added a 2001 dodge ram 1500 shortbed to the fleet. I had a wiring harness left over from another truck so after putting the frame on I installed the wiring. The wiring harness has the isolation module with the 4 plug I assume I got all the wiring correct.

The headlamps were unplugged and plugged into the harness and the harness plug in the headlamp. The purple wire went to the green on the passenger side for the turn signal and the same on the other side with the brown going to ground. There was a plug with 3 blue wires that I was not sure what do with so I called Western and I was told to cut B and C and tie them together. grounds are all connected by the battery and seleniod.

Now for my problem . With no plow on the front of the truck my passengerside headlamp is dim. Driverside is fine. I have the single headlight. So I flipped the plugs in the Isolation module for the headlamps and it turned the driverside dim.. So that way I eliminated the headlamp being bad. Do I have a bad ground, isolation module gone bad?

any help would be great.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Brown on the drivers side should go to the marker feed wire, not ground. Might want to start there first.

Also try tying A and B together instead of B and C, sounds like they got it backwards and and what your describing is a backwards configuration plug which is what the blue wires are for.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should send him the link for the wiring?

4. Crash935

5. twinman326

Sure is page #33?

Or is it page # 3?

6. Crash935

He can decide, page 3 is a generic break out, page 33 is a full schematic.

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

aww jeez. i thought that was mine.

8. Crash935

You can have it if you want it!

9. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have the generic schematic that is gone for basic wiring. How do I get to page 33?

on the turn signal I have

ground

minor

major

I was told purple goes to major and brown goes to ground. If that is incorrect do I connect brown to minor?

10. Crash935

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  11. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Crash thank you for that I was trying to find that on westerns webpage. that makes sense to me, I was trying to figure out why they had me picking up a ground through a turn signal. I dont think that is my problem though, I think I should try switching B and C to B and A.

I will let you know tomorrow what happens.

12. twinman326

Crash

Ahhhhh, I was just about to past the same link you did.....I was wondering why you said page 33 were the last link you past only went up to page 14...

13. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

guys thanks for the fast response. I goofed on saying I hooked the brown wire to the ground. I hooked it to Minor or parking originally during the installation. The problem was the 3 blue wires. Western had told me B and C it ended up being either A and C or A and B as I am not quite sure since the wires were cut off to splice them together yesterday.

14. Crash935

Atleast its all working now and you didnt have to spend any $$$$.

15. twinman326

The link that Crash posted # 10 will or should show where each individual wire or wires will connect to. If you look on page 33 ( ON ISOLATION MODULE PORT 1)the three blue wires ( blue, blue/red, blue / white) it shows blue comes from "H", blue/red comes from "J", blue/white comes from "K". Were it go into the configuration plug (hopefully it will show A,B,C. Page 32 shows a picture of it) (A) slot show blue/red wire (B) should have blue wire, and (C) should have blue/white wire (this is what I am reading off the wiring schematics).

Just remember to download the pdf file (the link Crash posted #10) and save it. Use the "save as" and name it the year of you truck wiring, for example "2001 dodge plow wiring", and refer back to it.