1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultramount -No Movement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bass Striker, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Bass Striker

Bass Striker Junior Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. Now for the details, I have an older two wire western ultramount - 1st generation. Hooked up to the plow the other day to push some drifts and after a few minutes of plowing the blade would not move in any direction. Went dead
    I have checked the following:
    I have a clicking at the relay and I have checked for power on the relay and have power on the big wire going through to the other stud. I also have power running through the small wire. I have power out to the power plug connection but when I check for power on the motor nothing. I have tried cleaning all the terminals on both plug ends best I could and applied dielectric grease. I don't know what the next step would be from here?

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

How are you checking for power? Try running battery jumper cables directly to motor and see if it works. Keep your feet away from blade.

3. Bass Striker

Bass Striker Junior Member

I was using a test light and had my son push the handle controls. When running power to the motor will I still need my son to push one of the control buttons to get it to move?

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What are you confirming 12v+ to as your ground? Are you checking it at the location where your 2 plug cord grounds back to your truck?

I bet your ground to your truck needs to be checked and tightened.

I would guess that if you test light across your two plug in the front of the truck from the positive to the negative, and hit left, right or up on the controller, you will not get anything.

Or as Randall said, grab a jumper cable set, hook the negative of the motor to the negative of the truck and try hitting a cab control button. This will confirm the bad ground issue.