1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultramount - mount question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Nov 25, 2014.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

When I bought my truck and plow setup, it looks like the previous owner just left the receivers on the truck year round from the time he got it until now. the lips are bent up pretty good and pins seized in, while one has even broken off. I am going to have to pound the hell out of them just to get them to come loose.

My plan is to pull them off, clean and paint them so they look a lot better, and hopefully add to their life by preventing more rust from accumulating. That being said, do I need to order the receiver pins from Western and spend $50 or can I just use a nun, bolt, and washer setup? Grade 8?

This is the receiver pin BTW: http://www.plowpartsdirect.com/west...tramount/plow-parts/western-receiver-pin.html

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You could go with the bolt and nut. Just watch the clearance when you rotate the locking arm down. Might not clear the bolt head

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If it were me, I'd spend the money to get the OEM pin since that's what is holding the plow onto the truck. I'd hate to have a substitute bolt fail or the plow fall off while plowing.

4. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

What's a nut an bolt that size cost?
    And the threads will eat the holes...IMHO

5. dieselss

If there tight in.there they shouldn't

6. xjoedirt55x

I am pretty sure I have the clearance needed.

Do you think the receiver pin is something stronger than a grade 8?

More than likely it will cost nothing, but if I go and buy good hardware, I could get it for under 10 bucks, taxes included. What do you mean the threads will eat the holes? My plan is to grease the thing since it will be in there all season.

Oh, and thanks for the responses guys.

7. dieselss

I am pretty sure I have the clearance needed.

Just making sure. I have hit the locking pin many a time with the locking arm

8. Doughboy12

It doesn't matter if you grease it. The threads on the bolt will act like a file on the bracket holes. If you buy the proper grade of bolt it will be harder than the mild steel the bracket is made from. Sooner or later this idea to save a buck will end up costing you hundreds of not thousands when the plow falls off and potentially kills someone. (Worst case scenario)

9. Doughboy12

I wouldn't roll that set of dice.

10. dieselss

They don't move, they don't hinge the plow, all they do is lock the horns in place. I'll roll the dice all day long on this one.

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Me too.

Personally, I'd buy the piece from Western, but that's just me.

The argument as to what the bolt costs, and that it will file its way through the frame, and the plow will fall off the truck and kill someone is comical. The bolt costs $1.50, and it wouldn't file its way through the frame before the truck had served it's useful lifetime and was sitting in a junk heap somewhere.

If you could see the cobbed up crap that comes in my shop from time to time, you'd be amazed. I'm not saying it's the right way to do it, but some of it has been out there doing the job for a long time... Accidental deaths notwithstanding. Just sayin'

12. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

Im with you on this, ive had bolt in my receivers for 4-5 years now without a SINGLE problem. The holes are still perfectly round and not worn, just get the proper length bolt and youll be fine. Hell ive hung a wideout off of my truck and the thought of those bolts breaking is quite comical, lets think about the 1/2 bolts that hold the mounts on over the 3/4 bolt! Plus your receivers will never grow legs and walk away with bolts in them!!

13. xjoedirt55x

A buddy had a stockpile of blizzard pins and a set of them with two washers will do the trick. Bolts were going on if they didn't work.

Now to finish trying to get the old seized ones out.... I was beating them hard yesterday and couldn't even budge them. I think the previous owner bought the setup new years ago and never unhooked anything. The Salter was seized in the hitch receiver too lol.

14. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've had some really stubborn ones... Lots of heat on the sleeve in the receiver, and a blunt bit in a mean air hammer... Gets 'em every time. The pins will likely be junk when you're done.