1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultramount making strange noise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by huskerfan523, Jan 30, 2011.

1. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

My 7.5 pro ultramount makes a very loud noise sometimes the first time I hit the button in the morning. it seems to only do it when it is cold, and if I let go of the button and hit it again, it goes back to normal. never had it do it once I start, but probably 25% of the mornings for the first time, it does it. any ideas? also, any maintenance that needs to be done other than changing fluid? and when changing fluid, is there any way to purge the lines, or just drain and refill the reservoir? thanks!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

How old is the unit? This noise on first use sounds to me like motor bearings failing. Heater motors often do this when they are cold and then it goes away as they warm.

As far as service goes if you want to be very thorough put a jack under the A frame, lift the plow a bit, then remove the hoses from all three rams and move the plow from right to left a few times. This will make a hell of a mess but it will empty the rams and hoses. Of course for the lift ram you have to remove the chain and lift it up and down. I also recommend removing the reservoir and blowing out the sump screens. There are two, the white plastic one is the pickup and the metal one is the return. Also clean out the bottom of the reservoir with a rag and brake clean. While you are in there have a look at the magnet for metalic particals. This should all be done in a warm garage so that there are no ice crystals suspended in the system.

Another thing I check every service is the pins and cotter pins. Many of the big ram pins go in from the top so they won't fall out if the cotter is missing.... until you hit a big bump. Make sure all the cotters are present in both ends of all three rams.

When you refill it be sure to run it through all the moves a few times, refilll it, then run it again, refill and then a third time & recheck the level. Since your purged the lines and rams you have to purge all the air out.

Last point... don't loose the gray plastic filler cap! So often I see people who have lost the original and replaced it with a cheap mushroom breather, not cool. Ther original breather has a five psi valve in it kinda like a radiator cap. When pressure inside goes above five it lets air out but otherwise it does not breath. In effect this gives you what I would describe as a vertual bladder in the reservoir air space. Like a balloon that expands and contracts as the fluid goes up and down. That blue plow oil is what they call a desacant, it absorbs moisture. You do not want air coming in and out every time your fluid level changes. That cap is important.

3. huskerfan523

huskerfan523 Member

Great info, and no offense, but is this what everyone does? This seems like a ton of work, but if it is necessary, I will do it. My plow is an 07, and the fluid is almost 2 seasons old. How often should I service it, and how often should I do mentioned above, and should I worry about above said bearings now or wait til they completely fail? You mentioned heater motor, is that part of the plow? Cuz it only makes noise when the plow is activated...

4. mishnick

At our shop we offer a one hour service every fall where we pull the reservoir, blow out the sump screens, clean the magnet and change the oil. We do not purge the rams unless the fluid is contaminated. Of course we look the thing over in the hopes that we find something that needs to be fixed. We recommend the fluid be changed every fall before the first snow flies.

When I said heater motor I meant the one in the cab of the truck. Bad example maybe. If the bearings are the problem I would just let it go until it becomes a real problem. If the motor fails it won't effect the pump or anything else. They are too expensive to replace at this point. Just pay attention to it and if it gets worse then take it in before it quits completly.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It might be the motor!! If it really cold out, the motor might have moisture inside of it..Then when you first move the plow, the moisture inside side the motor might be crystallize. Then you use the controller again, and the motor stop making the noise because it already broke up the crystal inside the motor.. Could be possible..

Could be possible you have a solenoid on it way out!!!

If it was the blower motor inside the cab, you will hear it while you sitting in the cab.

After your finish flushing the system and the fluid is level, us the controller, DO NOT RAISE THE PLOW. swing the plow left, wait 60sec, then swing it right, wait 60sec. Do this a couple of time. Then center the plow, re-check the fluid level. Now you can raise the plow and check all it functions.

6. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

Mine did this to me this morn. Mine is a Ultramount about that is 3 years old. It was about 0 degrees outside and when i angled my plow it was screaming and then it went away. I went up to the snowplow dealer in town and he said it could be the motor which is $300 to replace he said. Not sure what to do as the problem momentarily went away. Any help??

7. mishnick

Hey guys.... this heater motor thing is being completly missunderstood. I used the heater motor as an example because, at least up here where winter lasts six months, we use our heater motors a lot and they fail regularly. I am not suggesting that the noise from the plow is actually caused by the heater.

When any electric motor makes noise when it is warm it indicates that the bearings are worn. This makes the motor armature vibrate when it spins. Typically when they begin their slow death the noise will only occur when it is cold. The colder it is the longer the noise continues. The cold makes the armature shaft contract increasing the slop. As it spins the vibration and friction warms up the steel and reduces the slop making the noise go away. In my opinion if there was moisture in the motor you wouldn't even hear it, but that's just me.

If the problem is not persistant then let it go for a while until it becomes more previlent. $300 is a lot to spend on something that only happens for a moment in the morning when it is cold.

8. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

is it the pump making noises or is it the frame? all my bolts came loose on the hooks/feet and the ones that connect that bar to the a-frame. made a hell of a clunk when doing anything

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the is a major possibility...

I would tighten the bolts up, check the rest of the frame out to make sure no other bolts are loose or broken..

10. mishnick

Is this noise a clunk, a bang, a humm or squeel? The motor will not clunk or bank it will humm or squeel. But loose bolts wouldn't only make noise once when it is cold???

11. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

If that shop wants $300.00 for a motor, go to your local Northern tool or Fleet Farm. the motor for my 7'6 Ultramount is $100.00 plus tax. 2 bolts and 2 wires and your done. Somthing to add to the list of things to check is all the weld spots on the frame and light bar tower.I just had the tower break on one of my plows. reset it and welded it back on, good as new but if you check them and catch them early, touch up the weld and your good to go. also watch the center pivit bolt, the BIG 1' bolt in the center. The bushing wore out on mine and I had to rebuild it. Again not bad if you know how to do it and have the tools. I replaced all the bolts as well for $75.00. My plow is about 7 years old and I figure I will get another 10 years or better out of this plow.

12. dave00diesel

dave00diesel Junior Member
    from indiana

I put a new motor on my ultramount last year and I picked it up at my local dealer for $80. Also seen them on EBAY for close to that.

13. mishnick

I can tell you that at our shop we retail them for about $200 Cdn so if you can get it for under a hundred you are doing good.