1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultramount lock?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tim975, Nov 11, 2002.

1. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Hello everyone!

I have two friends that have recently bought Western Ultramounts for their trucks. What I want to know is, does anyone know of a way to "lock" the plow up, so no one can steal it? I know there's locks for the old Unimount. Has anyone fabricated their own lock? Any info is appreciated.

Tim Hager
    Tim's Snow Plowing
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A Reg Cab Long Bed
    7 1/2 Western Pro Plow
  2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Plow Locks

Tim you can sometimes drill a hole thru the end of the mounting pins and install a small padlock, but what a pain when you want to get the plow off. If your only worried about when the plow is left on the truck went your parked overnight I would get a good lock and a chain (or cable) and lock the unit to your plow frame. And leave the plow "up" when your parked, it's a lot harder to get the plow off when it's raised all the way. What are you going to lock it to when it's off the truck? It seems that that's when most plows vanish. :rolleyes: John
  3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Garage: the Ultramounts just have some latching "hooks" that go on, the plow could disappear in 30 seconds without even pulling a pin, so the pin fix prolly wouldn't do much to deter a thief. :mad:

If I was deadset on locking it up so that they'd have to pound out pins, I'd drill through the hooks and do a big ol' padlock. But then the pins are still a potential weak spot, but at least it makes the "gone in 30 seconds" scenario tougher. I suppose a guy could still lock the pins as you described, btu man, that gets to be a lot of locks.

The main attraction of the Ultramount is that you can EASILY and QUICKLY have it off and on so you don't have to haul your plow to the grocery store, etc, so I'd assume it will be sitting most of the time. So as far as when it's sitting, I'd get a cable lock (motorcycle style) and lock it to a post, pole, or something...
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2002
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Another solution that I use is to lock the slack of the chain back to the chain. When parked, lower the blade, but leave enough tention on the chain to ensure that if they are going to steal it, it will take some effort.

If somebody really wants your plow, they are going to take it.

5. Bigcee

Bigcee Junior Member

Ditto what Andy said, if they really want to steal it they will steal it . Locks only keep an honest man honest. Good luck anyway.:eek:
  6. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

plow locks

First of all, thank you for the help guys. Garage, that was exactly what I was wondering too, about when it's off the truck. One guy has a garage and doesn't really have to worry about it. The other guy lives in an apartment complex; both of us work for the railroad and are not home all the time, so it's hard to keep an eye on it. I have the old Unimount, and I keep mine at my parents house, which is pretty far off the street, no one can see it. But leaving it on the truck in the "up" position all the time will eventually wear down the torsion bars, I would think. If someone wants something bad enuf, they'll do whatever it takes to get it, you're absolutely right. I'm sure there are a few poles around he can lock it up to. Thanks again for the info! I will pass this info on to my friends.

Tim Hager
    Tim's Snow Plowing
    2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A Reg Cab Long Bed
    7 1/2 Western Pro Plow
  7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Yeah, that's the downfall of the ultramount, is that it just makes it all that much eaasier for somebody to take it... Almost makes a guy kind of nervous. Better find out what part of my policy covers it when it's sitting in my driveway.
  8. racer0175

racer0175 Member

look for parking spaces that would cause problems too....if you push gently :D up against the parking stop this will wedge the plow, or park againts a wall, this way they would have more trouble...of course they just might take your truck and all :mad:
  9. stephatan

stephatan Junior Member

Ultramount theft deterrent

Check out this website

they are made for the ultramount snowplows
  10. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I live in an apartment complex, too. I just use a big a$$ chain and put it around a light pole. I'd stay away from the bicycle type lock. A pair of bolt cutters goes through those like butter.