1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultramount Height Problems?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Terrasnow, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

I'm considering buying a Western Ultramount Plow.

Does anyone have any complaints about how low it hangs? I live in Buffalo, so I need to move a fair amount of snow...don't want to get hung up all the time.

Any reliability problems?

How does the pivoting blade perform on gravel drives?

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

hello i have three western vee blades with the unimont system and i have had no problems. i heard that the new set up sometimes comes off when stacking snow.go see rockey casullo on elmwood ave in kenmore n.y. he will take care of you. if your truck can handel the vee blade get it.any questions feel free to e mail me thanks
  3. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

What new setup are you talking about?
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The Ultra Mount IS the new design. The Uni Mount is the "old" design. The Ultra Mount pivots, as ADA said. It is also much easier to mount on the truck.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Sal........I too have a new straight ultra...Yea it seems
    to hang low. Very easy to get hung up stacking snow!
    My old western hard mount would stack the snow
    HIGH ! But I carry a wench that plugs into the cig
    lighter and hook up to the nearest object and pull
    myself out ! Just gotta be careful...But it seems all
    new quick mount plows hang low...So ya gotta be
    careful I guess. I got 10 hard winters out of my
    old western and my bud bought it and its still
    working fine. I hope my new one lasts as long
    and is troublefree......................geo
  6. PLM

PLM Junior Member
    from browser

I have one, live in buff

Used it all season. I had someone tell me that if you hit a pile with it hard enough it will fall off. that bull. i hit some piles hard to test this theory. it hit some big cracks in driveways. never fell off. they are low. the receiverbrackes on the new 2001-2002 chev and gmc are very low to the ground and will bottom out on you. go to your local dealer and have timber 'ns put on. (not sure of the spelling.) they will give you at least 2-3 inches more clearence and you could leave the mount brackets on.

One thing to remember. the uni mount blades are all interchangable. the unlta mounts are really one for that vehicle. 2001 gmcf to 2001 gmc would be fine. with unimount if you get in trouble you could swap the bldes with any truck.. just something to think about.

I have contacted western and spoke with many plowers and none of the ever had a blade fall off if it put on correctly. they lock down. great time saver and easy to drop and load.
  7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Fisher's Minute Mount doesnt hang low at all. All that stays on the truck is 2 straight pieces sticking out under the bumper up high. I think if and when i get a new plow, im going Fisher, right now i have a Western Uni-Mount. This reply has nothing to do with Westerns, but i just wanted to say that about Fisher because someone above said all new quick mount set ups hang low and i think he is 100% right for every make except Fisher. :waving: Mike
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Mike ... I think you are right about the Fisher
    mount height.......Was looking at my buds new
    set up on his 2500 Chev. It doesn't seem to
    hang as low as a western as compared to my
    set up. It only seems to be 5 inches higher
    up anyway. These GMs don't seem to ride as
    high as Fords or Mopars. Maybe the Fisher
    mount is higher because of the trip edge
    instead of a full trip western ?
    On the deal with the uni-mount westerns coming
    off...Got Grass aka mikes uni came unhooked
    somehow last winter and BASHED his hood in !
    Pray for snow !...........geo

BTW; We were at the BBQ comparing bashes and
    bruises on our year old trucks !......Boo Hoo
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2002