1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western UltraMount 2 plug to 3 plug

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Easy Outs, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

I bought a used 2 plug UltraMount plow. It came with the wiring, controller, and pockets that the plow slides into. It was on a 2001 f250. I'm planning to put it on a 2005 F250.

I know I need the truck side mount. After some research it appears I need to convert it to a 3 plug set up because the truck is newer than 2003. Is this correct?

Where is the best place to purchase my needed parts online? Is there someplace to download specific plow manuals?
  2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

there's two kinds of two plug wiring that confuses things. There's the old relay wiring two plug from when Ultramounts first came out, and there's the multiplex wiring two plug type on newer straight ultramounts, as well as MVP+, Wideout, HTS's from the get go.

does the control you received just have 4 pins? If so, that's multiplex, and no you definitely don't want to get 3 plug wiring for it.

If it does happen to be an old relay wiring Ultramount (which would be kind of rare, and 12-13 years old), THAT'S when you would have to go to 3 plug iso wiring, and convert the plow to 3 plug, etc.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You are going to have to get a complete truck side wiring system for your truck but also need to rewire the plow. You will have the old, small rectangular sealed beam headlights right? You will need to replace the headlight harness (11 pin plug), install a new control / valve harness (3 pin plug) and would probably be wise to replace the motor power cable too since it is so old.

Then on the truck you can re-use the motor power relay if it's not in bad shape, and the short jumper that goes from it to the battery positive post. You might even be able to use the motor power cable from relay to grill, again, if it's in good shape.

Beyond that there is nothing else salvageable. You need a headlight kit, an isolation module, a truck side control harness and a new hand held controller.

I hope you realize you are looking at at least $1500!
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

On another note, look at the lift frame on the plow, didn't those old ones rot out and break. How much did you pay for the plow?
  5. Randall Ave

Oh, and try plowparts direct.
  6. Easy Outs

Easy Outs Member

$1500? Ouch. I paid $2800. The plow does have the older style lights and the controller has 6 pins. Everything on the plow and the wiring is in good shape. There is 0 rust and it is original paint. It was heavily treated and always stored inside. I thought I picked up a decent deal until now lol.
  7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

And expect to buy a new style, greaseable pivot bar. Ask me how I know.
  8. Randall Ave

By the time you have that up and running, you will be close to buying a new one
  9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the wiring is in good shape consider leaving it as a two plug. The nice thing about the two plug relay system is that you can just pull all the relays and use the Western wiring just to control the plow functions, you don't need the headlights connected for the plow to work. On the three plug you can't do that. If you just hook it up for plow functions you can save a pile of cash and then wire in a manual switch to change between truck lights and plow lights. That way you won't need any new wiring or a controller. All you need is the truck side mount, a switch and the skill to tie into your headlights.

Here is a link to the mechanic's guide for your plow (Flowstat ultra-mount with relay wiring)

Have a good look at the pivot pins (page 6 of this link) http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/67997.07_050114.pdf items numbers 9 and 23. 9 is the pivot bar and 23 is the left and right pivot pins. The new plows all have grease zerks drilled in to allow these pins to be greased but your version doesn't. This was a problem so while you have it off and probably have to take it apart to configure anyway you might as well drill in grease zerks while you are at it.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  10. Randall Ave

That's how mine are wired, if ya do not have DRLs, you can save a lot of money. :nod: