1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra: Stuck fill plug! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ADDCTD2Diesel, May 6, 2008.

1. ADDCTD2Diesel

ADDCTD2Diesel Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a used Western Ultra mount 8' poly that I purchased this winter and never used. When I picked it up the seller placed the blade down in my truck and while transporting it back all of the fluid drained out. I know the plow works, b/c I have seen it work but now the plow has virtually no fluid in it and I can't get the fill plug out to add fluid to move it around the shop!

The fill plug itself has no rust on it! however when I try to turn it I can actually see the side of the cylinder it's attached to flex. I have tried everything the local western dealers have suggested from cans of WD-40 to CLR to heating it up, even drilled a hole through the middle of the bolt and tried using one of those bits that you screw into the bolt and then it is supposed to back the bolt out! Ha! now I have that bit broken off in the middle of the bolt! I HAVE to get this fill plug out! the plow needs to be moved and no local shops will work on it! please help!! I am willing to try anything!

Open to suggestions!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you didn't have any luck with it even after using a little heat on it, then your best bet is to replace the reservoir assembly. Simple remove and install...as long as the reservoir screws will come out. :rolleyes:

Replacement reservoir price isn't too bad either.