1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultra mounts

Discussion in 'Western SnowPlows' started by John DiMartino, Jan 27, 2002.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I guess ill be the first one,to post on here.I bought a new plow this season,and really wanted to buy a Western MPV,but after owning the uni mount for a few years,I truely have grown to dislike the mounting system,so when i bought this time,the biggest reason I chose another brand was the fact that the new ultra mount was not available on the V plow.When will it be available,with the 8.5 V,and how much weight will it add to the plow?I have had great service from my western plows.

2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

John: the Ultra mount was on average 100# more on most apps. A friend put a 9' on a 2002 Chevy K3500 dump & his only complaint was how lowwwwww the bottom of the mount is to the ground. If he pulls up to a curb Bang, the new shoes that come off the Ultra mount to make the frame mount higher without the plow now is the problem with the plow mounted! He has a 2001 Chevy K3500 dump with the Uni-mount & doesn't have any problem with curbs catching the frame. :confused: Brent

3. Foz

Foz Senior Member

On the 3500, see if the dealer will turn up the torsion bars, they can go up to 8 turns, if it has the Duramax, they will be turned already, but i just had the ones on my 2500hd with 8.1 turned 5 turns & it was just right.

Western vee plows will get ultramount next year

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Foz

He like me, been there done that.:D Even has load busters,the Chevys are low even with everything cranked up but we like our Chevys so we live with it.;) He wanted to try the new Ultra-mount & likes everything but how lowwww it is.:(

5. Patbobcat

Patbobcat Junior Member

Why not just buy a Curtis! I have a curtis on my 1500 chevy, had it next to a 2500HD with an ultramount, my curtis plow frame had far more ground clearance than the ultramount had on the 2500HD. I didn't measure the difference, but it was easily noticed by eye. I like the western plow, just like the curtis mount a lot better! Also with the Curtis, hydraulic pump weight is distributed to the blade when plowing, not the truck. I'm really not sure why there isn't more talk about the Curtis.

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Patbobcat

:confused: First this thread is a Western Forum. Second: He's had Western plows & salters for over 25 years straight why change a good thing when he's happy?:confused: Next he was impressed with the Ultra-mount but he didn't think the mount was that lowww till it was on his truck (looked at it on a Dodge). That was his & the Dealers fault for not checking into this better ( Dealer said not to worry not a problem).

7. mpflood

mpflood Member

Ultra Mount

I bought a brand new ultra 8 footer for my 99 dodge qc. I ride on the beach in summer, so the removable receiver boots are quite nice for extra clearence. I keep my plow and receiver boots locked up in a garage, but if you keep yours outside you should at least change the electrical plugs to a different shape then stock. This way if someone tries to take it on the FRONT of their truck, they are baffled when
    they go to hook up electric. Otherwise have a welder friend fab a piece of pipe to block the hooks from engaging that locks.Indoors is best.
    The frame is sort of low, but hasn't been an issue to me yet!
    I have the new cab command controler which is a real treat from that long cable rod.
    I'm in Jersey so i only got to use it once:mad:
    Take care ,
    Mike