Snow Plowing Forum banner

Western Ultra Mount !

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  racer0175 
#1 ·
Ok, So I got the ultra mount pro 8 ' plow set up on my F250HD,

No snow yet, But hooked up and drove around today while doing the last few cleanups , just to get used to the feel of it and ....

Well that ultra mount has the pivot feature.... So I raise it all the way to drive , decide to lower it a hair, and tilt it to one side and that side goes down pretty far, in fact hitting the ground when I hit a dip or bump, so raise it all the way abutu an inch more and still wacks the ground here and there ?? Is there maybe a way to stop the plow from pivioting so much during transport ??? I'm worried about damaging the edge since it's hitting the corner of it ?? It's only once in a while , happend three times today while driving between jobs....

#3 ·
The reason I angle it soo much is , for one I thought that was how you were supposed to do it so some air get to the grill , and two , on tight streets if I keep it strait I'll be taking mirriors off lefgt and right ..... When it is straight it seems to stay pretty level, But just when its angled it drops quite a bit..

#4 ·
Try keeping the plow lowered and a little less angle making the plow flater and the edge slightly higher. I had to do this on my bosses ford when the lights on the plow stopped working.
Eric

#6 ·
If thats how Westerns Ultra Mount is, id never buy it. Thats rediculous that it should pivot that much so it hits the ground while driving cause its angled to one side. More and more i like Fisher, and i have a Western, but mine is the Uni-Mount style atleast. Mike

#8 ·
well my two western ultras don`t do that.i keep mine straight most of the time.if im going to turn down a tight street i just angle the blade.your truck must be sagging to much.get some rear ballast in that bad boy and some load boosters.i have a F-350 super duty and an F-250 LD looks like a 150.i do hit the front of my driveway with them no matter what i do.but i run ballast in both the 250 i run 550 lbs cause thats more than half of the weight of the plow which is 670 lbs.now the 350 i run a tenco dump bed /sander and my 9ft blade does hit when theres no sand in the rear. but that truck sags very little.it needs load boosters aswell.the load boosters alone work wonders i`ll show u some pics of the 250 LD with the plow raised and angled.email me.plus theres a torque spec on that floating bolt.i know its 65 lbs and back off one turn.if its to loose it will be all over the place.
i like these plows a thousand times better than any fisher or boss.i do have a fisher V which i like but not as much as the western ultras

#10 ·
Mike , I torqued all the bolts to the specs in the directions ... And it's not sagging , the front end I mean.. LOL... I've got heavy duty springs , 3 leaf , and the timbrens too , it only drops about an inch with the plow lifted at first and then comes up a bit... just think it's when your angle ed at full angle its' dropping down on the inside end alot...... My truck actually sit s really high too, Had to get longer markers, cause those cheezy little flags , I could not see them when the plow was down...

#12 ·
very true about the flags.well i had one of my western plows out last week plowing which both are new first time ever plowing with the ultra and it bent those little SH*** things right over the front of the plow.i was plowing a private road and the blade tripped down to far i guess well i was doing around 40 mph and going up higher lol lol.but when she came back up i didn`t see any flags or markers,but when i looked out the side window the bolts holding them where still there and looked tight lol lol.bent the end of the blade a little to lol lol.i guess the stock blade they give u is for light duty use lol.

#13 ·
ultramount

I have the 8 ft ultramount pro on my chevy 2500 and it sits a little low but nothing to worry about. no draging or clipping the curb when I turn a sharp corner. that was my main concern about the ultramount. almost all the other plows seem to hang a little bit higher. combine this with the low clearence of the chevy and you have some potential problems. I looked at a buddys ford f250 with the same mount and side by side his was much higher. If I need a new cuting edge for christmas somthing will have to change.....

#17 ·
well first nite of plowing with mine went great...it does seem to pivot lower when you angle it...i drove with it mostly straight and i would tap it alittle lower....

those timbrens are sweet thats all i can say....highly recomend them to anyone...i also put the recomended 450 lbs of ballast in the back of the truck

i will have to double check but i think the blade only pivots like an inch at the a-frame...this may equate to about 4 inchs at the end of the blade...i will have to angle it and see

do you have your chains backed off a couple links to many?...i put mine on as tight as i could and then backed them off 2 links so i could float...the manual also says to make sure that the a-frame dosen't hit the round bar when the plow is all the way up...mine did when the chains were tight...if you put it that way the a-frame hits the bar and it wouldn't pivot as much, but the dowside is possibly bending something....

#18 ·
I think the a frame to round bar clearance is about a 1/2 " or so.. I'm gonna go measure it later and see what the actual diff in height is from side to side and receck every thing, May be teh lift chains are too low ?? need to be shorter to bring the plow up.. hard to tell I can see even teh headlight s from the cab, cause it sits lowwer than a conventional set up .. If I knew how to post pics I would so you guys could see what i am talking about...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.