1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western ultra mount wiring on 6.7 powerstroke

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Djchunter, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Djchunter

Djchunter Junior Member

I just purchases a 2nd hand ultra mount for my 12 powerstroke. I've had these plows before and loved them but they were 9 pin set up's. This new one I have is the 3 plug setup and I am a little confused with the wiring. I have the whole harness for the superduty, I kind of understand the isolation module and how it plugs in between my headlight harness. I seen bare wire leads for the L and R turn and a bare lead marked park for the park lights. Do I just tie these wires into my factory truck harness? Also anyone familiar with the 6.7 know's there is not any room under the hood and I am looking for idea's on where to route the harness, mount the solenoid, and where to put the isolation module. Also the hot wire for power that runs next to the controller harness is that 12v keyed power? And there is one plug in the middle of the harness that doesn't looked like it had anything plugged into it before and the wires aren't labels besides color coded, its a 3 pin connector) not sure is that is just left like that or not. I was trying to find a wiring diagram for this harness but haven't found anything too helpful yet. Just looking for some advice, thanks for the help
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Western document library , find your set up. It's all there.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This link will take you to the electrical schematics manual. It has every schematic western has ever made. Just look up your system in the index and go from there.

From what you are describing you had a two plug relay setup on your old plow but now you have the three plug isolation module system. The plow has three plugs, one two pin for switched motor power, the second has three pins for the three plow valve coils and the third plug will be an 11 pin which feeds all the plow headlights, signals and markers. Your old plow had a switched power cable and a combination plug that combined lights and plow functions.

On the truck there are basically three harnesses. The headlight harness, the power harness and the control harness. The power circuit takes power from the battery to the solenoid relay and then on to the plow pump motor. The light harness detours power from the headlights to the isolation module where it is either sent back to the truck lights (when there is no plow) or directs it to the plow when it's connected. The signals and markers are a simple parallel circuit so both the truck and plow markers and signals all come on together. The control harness starts at the handheld / joystick splitting off to the power relay / solenoid, to an adapter which connects to the headlight & isolation module and then finally on through the grill to the plow. The three plugs on the isolation module are as follows: two of the plugs are the inputs and output to and from the truck lights while the third plug is the output to the plow at the grill. There are also some single wire ground interconnects, one at the isolation module and one by the battery & power relay. These are important, if they are not connected the plow will not be recognized as present so make sure they are clean and securely connected.