1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra mount - Stacking Stop?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lazyls1, Dec 16, 2013.

1. lazyls1

lazyls1 Junior Member

Got my truck leveled and the plow properly set up in the #4 configuration, just wondering how important the stacking stop is? Ive been using it without for the time being and its worked fine. But if it exists there must be a reason for it, what purpose does it serve? Will I damage the plow stacking too high without the stop? Thanks in advance!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It will probably hit the front of your truck.

3. lazyls1

lazyls1 Junior Member

Hadn't considered that, will have to check that out. Thanks

4. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I know this is 2 years old but wonder what you came up with. Sometimes I wish my plow would raise higher and was wondering if I could remove mine. My is set to #4 so it says it needs it too but wondering what the point of it is. Doesn't seem like it would hit anything with it off.

5. coke813

coke813 Member

I'm interested if someone comes up with a better answer, but I would have to guess the only risk you would have is if you run into a pile of ice with the blade too high, you could bend the A-frame? The frame is designed to push straight ahead, not up. I don't think you really have to worry about damaging the truck though.

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I never put mine on when I assembled my plow. No issues.

7. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Are you using the #4 configuration? I was thinking of removing it and just jacking it up all the way to see what/if it hits anything. Only other concern i guess would be over extending the lift cylinder, not sure if that is a concern.

8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Plow has been configured various different ways throughout its life from the truck being completely stock to bigger tires and adding taller springs last year. I think the main intent of the stacking stops were to stop bounce going down the road.