1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra Mount pump problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bill4154, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Bill4154

Bill4154 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the site and looking for advice. For that matter, new to plowing also. I posted this question in the area for new members and did not realize there was a section for repair questions. Anyways, I just purchased a Western Ultra Mount from a friend who bought it new in 02' or 03'. Plow has been sitting since Feb of 07', and when he hooked up this year to deliver the plow it was not working properly.
    The plow is a 8' Pro Plow with the black plastic 4 button hand held controller. The problem is when you push up, left or right the motor will begin running, plow will move only inches, and then stop. The motor then sounds as if it is the plow is all of the way up or to one side and the button is held down. The only way to get the plow all of the way up or side to side is to "bump" the direction button several times. There are no issues going down.
    I have tried the plow on 2 different trucks with 2 different controllers and have the same issue. All 9 pins are in the plow side connector, and they look good. I took the coils and valves out, and with 12v to each coil the valves seem to open OK. I also took all of the other valves out of the manifold and cleaned it. The pump motor and is new. I also checked to make sure each coil has power with a test light, and they do.
    Sorry for the long post, any help or suggestions would be great. Oh ya, also changed the fluid and the pump is full. Thanks in advance, Bill

2. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

have you gone on westerns site and downloaded the trouble shooting guide? I have found it rather helpful in the past. It sound like a fluid flow problem...maybe the pump is weak (happens that you can get bad new ones) or maybe a block in a line. I would try the trouble shooting guide.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since the issue is the same on more than one truck, then that assures me that it's a problem on the plow side..

Sounds like a ground issue on the plow side...
    One think to check here first though is to see if the coils are staying energized after the plow stops responding. Check the wires for power on the coils.You only need to test the S2 and S3 coils (lt blue/S3, lt green/S2)....

Use a test light while a helper operates the plow and check for power at the three coils after it stops moving. Do they still have power when it stops responding? If so, them that eliminates a control problem on the power side.

Now check the ground wires at the coils too (blk/orange wires)..do they have ground after the plow stops moving but the motor is still running?

The blk/orng ground wire connects all the coils together and then runs over to the ground for the motor, which grounds the coils....
    If the connection between the motor and the coil ground is poor, the motor will pull all the ground away from the coils..thus closing any of the valves/coils that might be energized which of course will stop the plow cold.

The S1 coil (lower) will work fine because the motor isn't running in the lower function, so it wouldn't be pulling it's ground away.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007