1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western Ultra Mount Problems

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bill4154, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Bill4154

Bill4154 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I'm new to the site and looking for advice. For that matter, new to plowing also. I just purchased a Western Ultra Mount from a friend who bought it new in 02' or 03'. Plow has been sitting since Feb of 07', and when he hooked up this year to deliver the plow it was not working properly.
    The plow is a 8' Pro Plow with the black plastic 4 button hand held controller. The problem is when you push up, left or right the motor will begin running, plow will move only inches, and then stop. The motor then sounds as if it is the plow is all of the way up or to one side and the button is held down. The only way to get the plow all of the way up or side to side is to "bump" the direction button several times. There are no issues going down.
    I have tried the plow on 2 different trucks with 2 different controllers and have the same issue. All 9 pins are in the plow side connector, and they look good. I took the coils and valves out, and with 12v to each coil the valves seem to open OK. I also took all of the other valves out of the manifold and cleaned it. The pump motor and is new. I also checked to make sure each coil has power with a test light, and they do.
    Sorry for the long post, any help or suggestions would be great. Oh ya, also changed the fluid and the pump is full. Thanks in advance, Bill

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I would drain the fluid and check the internal filter on the pump itself. Willing to bet its clogged.

3. Bill4154

Bill4154 Junior Member

I removed the pump from the manifold when I had it taken apart yesterday. It looked as if the pump unit was one piece. The filter on the pick-up tube was not clogged/dirty if that is what you mean. If there is an actual filter in the pump also, I will tear it apart again and clean that too. I had the pump in a cleaner solution and was able to turn it easily by hand, and I could see it pumping. Thanks

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

That would be the one I was talking about.... Did you check all your grounds? make sure none of them are weak.

5. Bill4154

Bill4154 Junior Member

Pump motor is new this week. All ground/positive blade connectors at the coils are good, free of corrosion. As for the truck side, the ground wire is directly grounded to the battery. I've had the same plow on 2 different trucks and had the same issues, so I don't think it is a "truck side" problem unless there is something that I'm missing on both trucks. The plow worked great last year, so I have to believe its a "plow side" issue. Thanks